Better mousetraps

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Better mousetraps

Post by tr4252 »

If anyone here would direct me to information on the internal workings of the various types of stilettos, it would be much appreciated. My knowledge of how they're designed is limited to a few modern "off the shelf" units I've taken apart.

I'm modifying a 9" production model now, and while I admire the design work that went into it, feel that many different ways must exist to make the mechanical components.

The pushbutton release mechanism is pretty well designed, but seems to be the reason why the scales are usually so thick on these knives. Does anyone out there know of or have any ideas about a design which would have a lower profile? This is an SKM brand knife; with a slotted spring riveted to the liner, and the button lever sort of criss-crosses through it, ending in a barb which goes through a hole in the liner. Nice design, maybe it as good as it needs to be already.

I've seen 3 spring types; the 1 piece kick spring/back spring with the locking tab either forged, twisted or welded at 90 degrees to the spring leaves (anybody know how they generally do that tab?). A spring like this one looks like it would be the most difficult to make.
Another type knife I have uses 2 individual springs; the back spring/locking tab is 1 piece and has small tabs which fit into slots in the liners, and the kick spring is a flat piece with many curves and a couple of holes, is mounted into the knife by means of 2 pins. Easier to make, in fact I recently had to replace a broken one.
The 3rd type as seen in the SKM "how to assemble the do-it-yourself stiletto" section is pretty simple; it's a strip with 3 kinks and a shallow bend, and would be the easiest by far to make.
So my question is, why do they use the more complicated types of spring? do they work so much better? I have no experience with the 3rd type, your advice would probably save me a lot of trial and error time.

Can anyone recommend a source for nickel silver stock, for the making of bolsters, etc.? Also, can you let me know of any other related supply sources, as well as those I could contact for advice from time to time (in addition to this cool website, of course).

Thanks, sorry if any of you are tired of answering the same questions over and over.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I think that there are photos of disassembled switches on Ragtimered's and Switch67's websites. Look back at the threads from a few months ago. There is one called "Great switchblade websites" or something like that.

Jim
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

This is the photo as mentioned by Jim D. Originally from Switch67 site.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... ght=#25110

Didn't mean to butt in, Jim. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nickel silver is available from http://www.kovalknives.com
http:/forums.delphiforums.com/knife is a site you might like.
Bill