Shell/MOP inserts

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Yavcon,

I think Jagman has the right idea, for a novice starting out. The kit knives would allow you some artistic latitude without having to pick up so much equipment as building from scratch. Especially if your metalworking chops are still in the learning phase. Making a knife from the ground up is a pretty involved undertaking, as I've found out during the last 10 months or so since I got bitten by this nasty bug.

Having said all that, I have to believe that a guy with your talent would do pretty well once he was up to speed. You obviously have the skill to make ideas into reality, and if you're as stubborn as I am, you would see projects through, perfecting as you go, and not be satisfied until it was right. Not to mention the artistic flair you display. It'd be damned interesting to see what you would come up with.

I also like your idea of limited run "mass" production of a design. I've got the same goal in mind, am nearly done with the 3rd prototype of a design I came up with, and each step or innovation is satisfying as hell. Trouble is, since each part is made by hand, it's a process too slow to bear sometimes. I know you're aware that ones ideas race ahead of ones ability to produce the finished product, and having a job shop knock off quantities of semi finished parts would be a major boost.

There are a number of highly skilled members here; a guy known as Knifmakr (spelling?) does exceptional work, as do several others. And there's no shortage of people here who can advise you (us), and help to avoid a shitload of dead ends based on their experience.

So go for it, if you're so inclined. I for one would be glad to share what I can, and there's a lot of support here from the membership.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pushbutton- Marge??
Yavcon- http://forums.delphiforums.com/knife101
You have to do a short registration to get into Delphi. Everything you need should be on this (my) site.
Bill
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Marge became an American folk hero; went from superstar soap commercial icon to pop star in the 60's with her band The Old Spice Girls, gained notoriety for campaigning against the use of Pledge in the public school system, was publicly denounced by The Daughters of American Bandstand for flaunting her numerous affairs with such celebrities as Speedy Alka-Seltzer, Chiquita Bannana, and The Man with the Sandpaper Beard. An astute business woman, she built a multi-million dollar empire upon the development of decorative paper towel design, but was later convicted of insider stock trading of securities, along with her financial advisor, the yellow smiling face. Repentant in her later years, she became the leader of a fundamentalist advertising movement called The Shake and Bakes, and has established a chain of halfway houses dedicated to the care of homeless invisible men.
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

tr4252 wrote:Marge became an American folk hero; went from superstar soap commercial icon to pop star in the 60's with her band The Old Spice Girls, gained notoriety for campaigning against the use of Pledge in the public school system, was publicly denounced by The Daughters of American Bandstand for flaunting her numerous affairs with such celebrities as Speedy Alka-Seltzer, Chiquita Bannana, and The Man with the Sandpaper Beard. An astute business woman, she built a multi-million dollar empire upon the development of decorative paper towel design, but was later convicted of insider stock trading of securities, along with her financial advisor, the yellow smiling face. Repentant in her later years, she became the leader of a fundamentalist advertising movement called The Shake and Bakes, and has established a chain of halfway houses dedicated to the care of homeless invisible men.
Now your talkin!
Finally, a guy who can relate to my hiding in my basement, wanting to crawl out of my skin, pacing back and forth, keep peeking out the window curtain, with Apocalyps Now on in the background. Bury $5 in your backyard, and one of our underground agents will contact you with instructions.
I was a seasonal director in the Shake and Bake movement.

As for the kit idea, I will start off doing some. That will get me familiar with the pin assemblies and what kind of tools it takes. Patience, I have. I spent four years building guitars before I even was willing to put my name on one. I notice that lots of makers use the same levers and such...there must be a manufacturer where you can buy some of the parts "ready made." I'll start looking tonight.
Bill, I will also check out the link. Thanks for the direction.
A swinguard leverlock.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Hey Yavcon,

Always a pleasure to meet someone who "gets it".

TR