help pleeeze!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
redbear

help pleeeze!

Post by redbear »

I finished my first ever project a week or so ago and am now just recovering from my failure. I thought it would be a piece of cake to slap together an 11" stilleto 'kit'. I hate to admit it but I've been humbled. The scales are too chunky, I peened the blade so tight I needed vice grips to swivel the bolster, and my filework looks like I used a chainsaw. Thats the good stuff. :oops:
The worst part is that it won't lock up. I suspect that with all my fiddling around I might have damaged to lock tab. I can't wait to tear it apart and take another run at it, and am looking for suggestions as to how I might repair the tab or where I might find a replacement.
Any ideas or suggestions will be humbly and gratefully accepted. (Please dont suggest that I take up another hobby. I've already thought of that.) :?
thanks!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey mr redbear - well believe me, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself!
everyone who has attempted this has made mistakes...

as for your filework, put the chainsaw away, and just use the chainsaw blade sharpening files! that's pretty much all i use are chainsaw files (available at any hardware store) and for any straight cuts i use a thin cut-off disc in my dremel...the trick is to go veeeerrrrry slow, and have everything well marked out in advance....i even draw it out on paper first to see if it is what i want..

believe me - i am by no means over the learning curve myself, but the only way to get there is practice and asking lots and lots and lots of questions!

8)
redbear

Post by redbear »

Thanks MB. I think I just tried some filework that was a bit too complicated for my first effort. My second project came out much better than the first.

I would appreciate some advice or help on the matter of it not staying locked when I try to close it. The beak or tip of the button assembly just wont keep it locked. Any ideas where I might get another button for a classic 11" stilleto?
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i think i may have a pin portion of the button mech. kicking around...
i'll send it to ya!

:wink: