Back burner project

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: Back burner project

Post by sammy the blade »

Big improvement!
2024 candidate for president
LD57

Post by LD57 »

A small update on this one, too.
I started out planning on sanding the bolsters for a brushed finish, then heating the bolsters and use the coffee ground method to try to darken them.
Instead, when I heated the sanded bolsters, they started to turn a brass color. What the…??
I thought they were stainless, but they must have some zinc and copper mixed in somehow. 🤔
Anyway, I went with the brass color, looks good against the brown scales, I think.
Now I’m unhappy with the button color. The button is some kind of painted/coated zinc alloy, so not sure what to do about that.
Looks like I’ll be coming back to this one.
Attachments
C49D5EA9-6EBC-4060-81BB-CEAB4C4A1B4B.jpeg
C49D5EA9-6EBC-4060-81BB-CEAB4C4A1B4B.jpeg (356.09 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
sammy the blade

Looks good, I have an 11" one in snakeskin.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

I can't tell you anything about the metal's reaction in regards to coloring but I can say that I like it!

The contrast between the scales and the bolsters as it sits now compliment each other very well. Very cool work brother!
sammy the blade

Anyone who may be interested in one of these be aware that they are HEAVY! I'm sure nobody on the forum would carry one of these as an every day carry but you never know.
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Thanks, the bolster color change was a bit of serendipity. Usually when I try something different it turns out not so good.
Sammy:
It is a chunk, that's for sure. Even the 9 inch version is heavy.
But, I have carried it, not EDC, but quite a few times. It's rare for me to buy a knife that I don't intend to carry.
You get used to the weight, but you never really forget it's there. The ones with a pocket clip are easier to manage.
sammy the blade

Mine was advertised with a clip but it showed up without one. I just bought it for the WOW factor, plus it was on sale! You're doing some nice work on yours!!!
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

sammy the blade wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:16 pm Anyone who may be interested in one of these be aware that they are HEAVY! I'm sure nobody on the forum would carry one of these as an every day carry but you never know.
Very heavy, indeed. I picked up one of the 13 inch variety last year and it's easily as heavy as one of my Campolin batwings, may even be heavier.

Likely it's cheaper to produce them that way than spending time shaving excess metal away. But hey, if the blade doesn't deploy you can use it as a nightstick! :)

Scott
sammy the blade

Or a boat anchor.
bhandari

Post by bhandari »

LD57 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:07 pm Thanks, I’m gonna try to stay on this one.
This Juma is pretty dark, and the scale effect is not high enough contrast, so I don’t think they’ll “pop” like they would if the scales were a lighter color. I thought it would be more golden brown, but I guess this batch wasn’t.
This knife had the fake vinyl snakeskin print under clear acrylic, so trying to stay with the snakeskin “pimp-knife” theme. 😎
So now, we are having fake vinyl scales in the market :roll:
LD57

Post by LD57 »

Well, I guess it was real vinyl, but fake snakeskin.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Some 30 years ago I sent away for leather scraps, for boy scout projects. . .
and there were odd shaped snakeskin trimmings in it . .
I'll bet there are still places like that.

yep . . just checked eBay . . .

Pelgio leather . . $16 + free shipping from Thailand