Vagrant's "Hot Stuff" ;]

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Vagrant's "Hot Stuff" ;]

Post by Vagrant »

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Hot Stuff [recipe]
[subsitutions of ingredients AND instructions are FINE] a recipe is a STARTING POINT ;]
Ingredients :
Pepper
Salt
Cayene pepper
Dry [powdered] Mustard
Green pepper
Hot peppers
Onion
Mushroom
Italian seasoning
Hot and Spicey V-8
Worcestershire Sauce
Hot sauce [from Georgia]
1.5 lbs [or more] Hamburger
Pasta [noodles or Spaghetti are great]

Instuctions :
Partially brown Hamburger
add veggies and seasonings
continue browning until well browned
drain gease
add Pasta and V-8
slow simmer until liquid is gone [leave some liguid if you like it "juicier"
Garnish with grated Romano Cheese
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks yummy 8).....But it could use some whole grain corn.... :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

whippersnapper wrote:Looks yummy 8)
And spicey :wink:
Awesome with Spaghetti since as the V-8 cooks down to a sauce it cooks into the Spaghetti [much tastier than just pouring sauce onto the Spaghetti] :wink:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Hamburger helper it ain't :shock:

I love food so hot that persperation runs off the scalp like Horseshoe falls. Yummers :D
butch

Post by butch »

that does look good Al.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Looking good Vagrant! Wish I was there to help you enjoy it!
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
slappy / psychoticsumo

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

man that looks good but you
forgot the last 2 extra ingredients for after eating

toilet paper and icecubes :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

An even faster meal :wink:
Brown shaved steak, veggies [hot peppers, peppers, onions, ect, etc,] and spices togeather. Once well browned pour off grease, then serve over rice [or mix with corn :idea: ].
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Al,

Looks good - I love the hot stuff.

By the way, does anybody know what these might be? My son went on a trip to Europe this Summer (one of those high school sponsored trips). They spent a good bit of time in Italy (but unfortunately not Maniago). He brought me a pack of dried peppers from Italy. They are reddish brown and small; about 1 inch long and maybe 1/8 inch in diameter. These things are HOT HOT HOT, and this statement is coming from a guy that doesn't think twice about eating the better part of a jar of jalepenos. The label on the package was in Italian and I threw it out before I had a chance to taste the peppers. Ideas anyone??

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jim d, wrote:Al,

Looks good - I love the hot stuff.

By the way, does anybody know what these might be? My son went on a trip to Europe this Summer (one of those high school sponsored trips). They spent a good bit of time in Italy (but unfortunately not Maniago). He brought me a pack of dried peppers from Italy. They are reddish brown and small; about 1 inch long and maybe 1/8 inch in diameter. These things are HOT HOT HOT, and this statement is coming from a guy that doesn't think twice about eating the better part of a jar of jalepenos. The label on the package was in Italian and I threw it out before I had a chance to taste the peppers. Ideas anyone??

Jim
I've never heard of them but I WANT some :wink:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

It might be the Dorset naga,

According to Mrs Michaud, the hottest habañero peppers popular in chilli-eating competitions in the US generally measure about 100,000 units on the standard Scoville scale, named after its inventor, Wilbur Scoville, who developed it in 1912. At first the scale was a subjective taste test but it later developed into the measure of capsaicinoids present. The hottest chilli pepper in The Guinness Book of Records is a Red Savina habañero with a rating of 570,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).

Mrs Michaud was stunned when the Dorset Naga gave a reading of nearly 900,000SHU. A fresh sample was sent to a lab in New York used by the American Spice Trade Association and recorded a mouth-numbing 923,000SHUs
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

Sounds like a pepper I consumed some years ago. I was repairing a roof on some asians apartment, and I noticed this little guy out back harvesting these little peppers like you described, except they were more orange in colour. The way this guy was eating them, I figured they couldn't be very hot and he gave me one. Wrong decision. I must have turned 5 shades of red, the steam was blowing out my ears, nose and mouth. I must have looked like some cartoon character the way my eyes were bulging from my face, and all this to the amusement of smiling asian faces as they gleefully watched me writhe in agony. After consuming a 12 pack of my favorite suds on the 4 mile drive home, I promised myself never again.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I had a friend that worked as a florist and he told me that the tiny ornamental peppers are just that and not safe for human consumption :idea:
He said he bit into one ONE time and it blistered his lips and gums :shock:
I've always wondered if maybe just one added to salsa :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I don't know that these are as hot as those described by Teq and Bonz, but they will certainly light your fire. As a point of reference, one of them, chopped and added (without seeds) to about 6 ounces of mild Old El Paso salsa makes it approximately equivalent the Old El Paso Hot salsa. Bear in mind, that just one of these, without seeds is just a tiny amount of material.

While on the subject of hot sauce, a local favorite in the greater Mayberry metro area is Texas Pete, which was developed and is manufactured in Winston Salem (about 15 miles from my house). I don't know how regional it is. Is anyone else (other than those in N.C., where it is as popular as table salt) familiar with it? I really like it - it looks like Tabasco, but is not nearly as hot. It is vinegar based (I think) and has a very nice flavor.

Jim
Last edited by jim d, on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.