new bike

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy da blade

new bike

Post by sammy da blade »

just got finished rebuilding a totaled HD superglide. my brother had this bike for 24 years and got in a low speed collision. luckly for him he wasn't hurt. luckly for me he didn't want to rebuild it himself. i have $5500 in the bike. teddy said he would post the pics. later. thanks teddy!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

All the best
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Sammy,

Funny how those parts will nickle & dime you to death. The Shovelhead is my favorite engine. What type of ignition do you have in it? I'm running a Crane HI-4 in mine. It kicks ass on those stupid points systems and still have power to burn. Is the engine stock, or did ya juice it up? I just had my 73 FLH rebuilt with an S&S hot set up and stroked to 93". I can't wait for spring to roll around. Nice lookin ride, but those bars are too low for me. Apes are the only way to go.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
sammy da blade

bike

Post by sammy da blade »

bonz, the bike had a new top end it it about 23 years ago and is just an excepitional runnig old shovel head. it has electroinc ignition, probably stock on a 76 which is what it's titled. it has built in 76 for a friend of the builder. all i could salvage was the dive train battery and frame. bought all the parts through V Twins and Zoom cycles and did the work myself with some help from my older brother. those bars just look low, when you sit on it every thing is right where you i it, you don't have to lean up to reach them, sits real nice. also bought an 82 shovel for $6000, probably going to do a little work on it this winter and make a few bucks this spring. whok nows, i might keep it too!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Sammy,

I don't think electronic ignition came along in Harley until mid 1978 if I remember right, and when it did, the ignition was so shitty that most Harley riders ripped them out and went back to points and counter balancers. My guess is that it was installed much later than 76. As long as it works right, dont fuck with it is my motto. 6 grand for an 82 is not bad. I recently sold an 84 FLH Shovel full dresser for $10,000 but that sucker was in near mint condition. The poor chap who bought it lost his bike in a fire that burned down 22 homes, so I felt sorry for him and let it go for what I had in it. Thats the nice thing about Harleys, you can usually get your $ back or even make money on them, unlike thos jap bikes.

Here's my 73

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
sammy da blade

bike

Post by sammy da blade »

bonz, that's a nice one! do you like the S&S carb? the 82 has one on it, plus it has dual plug heads. the motor is all chrome and so are the forks. it has a red metalc paint job with silver ghost flames. the paint needs a little touch up and a new back tire but i figure i can sit on it until spring and make a couple grand pretty easily.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Sammy,

What carb does the bike have? The one on the 73 is an 'E'. Haven't had this one on the road since the rebuild. I had a 'B' on it before and it kicked solid ass on open throttle, but sucked at low speed. Had a 'E' on the 84 and it worked fine until I got to low altitude (I live at about 3500-4000 feet).

Heres the 84 (before I sold it), the last year of the Shovel, and first year of the Evolution.

My adivce would be to ride both bikes, then sell the one you are least comfy with. Or keep them both. Not many riders can say they have 2 bikes. The 84 just didn't feel right to me. It was customized for a smaller guy, and I'm 5'11 200 lbs.

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
sammy da blade

bike

Post by sammy da blade »

bonz, don't know what kind of carb. is on the 76, same one that was on it when my brother bought it. an old boy that was at Pearl Harbor rebuilt it. probably one of the oldest H D dealerships in Indiana! pretty sure on keeping the 76,it just sounds better, it's a solid old bike which i know the history of. my brother sold it to me right, he knew what i would do with it. he'd probably kick my ass if i sold it. you may be right about keeping both bikes, it would be nice. the area i live in has had a lot of factorys close and if you have some money and keep your eyes open you can buy some harleys pretty cheap. the guy that has the 82 had it in the local paper for $7500 but couldn't sell it. he's hard up for money and said he'd take 6 for it. i couldn't pass it up for that.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Almost very "new" thing I get, is "new to me" not actually new. :wink:
old_red_eye

Post by old_red_eye »

Around here the Harleys cost an arm and a leg, it's almost worth it though.
Used bikes are well over $10,000.

Can someone send me one Global Express? :lol:

Don't run your fingers over my truck and I won't run my truck over your fingers.
sammy da blade

x

Post by sammy da blade »

hey old red eye, just picked up a 1982 80" shovel head today. chrome from front wheel to the back wheel. i'd sell you that one for $10,000! but you have to come down here in Indiana to get it.
old_red_eye

Post by old_red_eye »

Sammy d.b., Would love to but I'm not allowed to go back to Indiana.
Something to do with an Indiana girl I hooked up with at Billy Bobs in FW,Tx.
But she sure could two-step. :D

Maybe there's someone out there that has always dreamed of owning a Suzuki
that would trade their Harley for?? :shock:

I'll even throw in a nice stiletto clone.
Don't run your fingers over my truck and I won't run my truck over your fingers.
butch

Post by butch »

Hey guy's great Bike's! 8) I had a 72 harley sportster 1200. mint condition.Yellow with the the gratefuldead painted on the tank,sure wish I had a picture of her.I had to sell her back in 1990. :(
MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

I don't know much about bikes, but if I could have any bike, I'd go for Teddy's.
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.