Does anyone else have trouble with thieves?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
old_red_eye

Does anyone else have trouble with thieves?

Post by old_red_eye »

Around my neck of the woods we have big trouble with thieves.

Last Saturday night thieves tried to get into my garage. They removed
the doorknobs, "adjusted" a window and tried to open a roll-up door.

Fortunately, I am more prepared than most and all my doors and windows
have bars and blocks that make them impossible to open so they
could not get inside.

Unfortunately, I should have left a door open because I have a silent
alarm system than rings by my bed. Then I could try my AMT Automag II
which I am quite adept with.

Usually this is either young people (no offence) looking for pot or booze,
or professionals looking for ATVs, power saws and the like. It's a booming
business here in the east.

Last summer we even had an arsonist who burnt about 20 cottages in my
county just for the fun of it, didn't even enter the places to steal anything.

I always thought I was safe because most people around here know I
don't fuck around when it comes to that sort of thing. But I guess
sometimes the thieves are not too bright.

Anyone else have problems.

:x :x
Don't run your fingers over my truck and I won't run my truck over your fingers.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Yes things are getting a lot less civilized. The "Your stuff is really my stuff" mentality has resulted in barred windows, iron gates in front of exterior doors and the proliferation of motion sensing light fixtures.
Milu

Post by Milu »

It's recently become a major problem in my isolated mountain neighbourhood.

Regularly every thursday, which is market day so no one home, there is a spate of burglaries. The police failed to do anything. There is a respectable looking frontrunner who uses either a gray Audi or a dark Mercedes for varaiety, he identifies empty houses and then the crew moves in. The police were called when one burglary was in progress by a passerby, the thief was caught and has been deported to his own country. I expect he is already back. Some people have become tired of the sitation and have taken to leaving doors open whilst a group is waiting inside, a burglar was caught in the act, thoroughly beaten, stripped, bundled into a van and left 20 miles from anywhere. A second man was caught beaten and thrown into a cold mountain pool - this fellow was probably not a burglar but an itinerent vendor with no papers. If the police are not seen to be doing something positive it will get worse.

The police set up a roadblock to stop the the frontman when he was spotted two weeks ago, he didn't stop and pushed the police vehicle off the road. A second roadblock was set up a week later in another valley, he again pushed through, the police got some shots off, but again he didn't stop. It seems to be turning into the wild west around here.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For the most part, they haven't found their way to Mayberry YET. However, in last weeks paper there was a 2 column article about an attempted theft where a woman was found to have concealed 2 steaks and a jar of peanut butter in a grocery story. However, when confronted, she indicated that she intended to pay for the merchandise. (I'm not making this up).

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

I can't count the tens of thousands of dollars of construction equipment, materials, tools and damaged properties and trucks. Although I'm sure our insurance company does. I seems when working in Da' hood we tack on a 10 grand loss line so we don't have to make so many claims
One job a group broke into a midrise building we were rehabing an stole everybodys tools the next day two guys showed up on the site trying to sell the tools back. I honestly thought the workers were going to beat them to death before the police showed up. when the put them in the car they were talking about assult charges The Police just smiled and said "resisting arrest was stupid" :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

We only lock the house if going out for more than an hour or two. I have relatives in Mass. that lock it when they're at home :shock: Different culture, I guess :idea: [Almost a different country :roll: ] When I owned a Sheperd/Husky I did keep a barrel of speedi-dri handy in case he thought there was a problem and dealt with it when I was away :wink:
Diggaway

Post by Diggaway »

Gentlemen,as infuriating as thieves invariably are it is gratifying to see them reap their rewards at the hands of stalwart citizens.About a decade ago,in Kings Co,three young toughs(escapees all) burned one summer camp,trashed another then broke in and stole some guns from a house known to the ringleader.Then the community sprang into action---the volunteer fire dept having been turned out for the fire used their organizational skills,communication equipment,and hunting/tracking skills to swiftly dog the perps out on to the frozen St.John River.Although the pursuers displayed no weapons the ne're do wells laid down their stolen guns and were much relieved when the RCMP finally arrived to make the arrest and carry them off to a warm jail.They said afterwards they knew the jig was up when the local boys got onto them and that they felt lucky indeed that the locals had excercised restraint rather than vengeance.
Friends of mine were involved in the capture and I'd have to agree that the punks were fortunate indeed to go to jail. Still ,its fantastic when a community can hold fast to the old core values and work together to disallow this type of bullshit in their backyards.We need more of that .
Regards, Diggaway
Sempere ubi sub ubi
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

AMEN!!

All the best
Teddy
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Here in California we're not allowed to exact vigilante justice on the "disadvantaged" and "disenfranchised" and "disturbed" youths who steal from us. :(
It's not "politically correct" and it's very troubling to our marxist movie star types. :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Milu

Post by Milu »

It's not allowed in N.W. Italy where I am either. However, it happens. Just doen't get reported too much.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Not much of a problem here in Ga if there in the house.
Once they make it to the door and get outside you can't shoot em,they sell a lot of oo buckshot in this state :wink:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

The Falcon wrote:Here in California we're not allowed to exact vigilante justice on the "disadvantaged" and "disenfranchised" and "disturbed" youths who steal from us. :(
It's not "politically correct" and it's very troubling to our marxist movie star types. :?

Mr. Falcon,

Californica has the "Make My Day" law, as I'm sure you are aware.

Are you saying that if a scum-sucking low life breaks into our house at 3AM we have to check his I.D. for age before we can shoot him?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

High crime in Mayberry: our local paper reported today that a local man was charged with communicating threats and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. It seems that a young man came home, got into an argument with his parents, yelled at them, and drove off in their car. Fortunately, he was apprehended. The paper also reported that "The suspect was released under written promise that he would appear in court on Nov. 29"

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Jim,
With a crime rate that serious,it must worry you to death going off and leaving your family every week :wink:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

teq,

Right you are, and last month there was a police report of a traffic cone being struck by a motorist. My guess is that since you are American and of a certain, shall we say - vintage, you get the "Mayberry" thing.

Jim