What else do you collect?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

What else do you collect?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm sure most of you collect something else in addition to knives. What is it?

I also collect guns, watches, smaller cannon, and bass guitars.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Re: What else do you collect?

Post by whippersnapper »

Memories now...

When I was younger I collected all the usual stuff. Knives, coins, stamps, guns, fishing lures, fish spears. sports cards, comic books.Even had a collection of a few thousand ball point pens. ...How silly is that,

Have a bunch of tools. Some I only used a couple times and can't seem to find anymore when I need them.

I never spent big money on any of it. Had some things that were valuable but I never made any money on any of it. I just passed it on to others who I thought would enjoy it more or thought they couldn't live without it. No regrets, except for never buying a big peice of land somewhere where I could have farmed, hunted, and enjoyed my older years.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Memories are the most precious things!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Here's a nice little Howitzer I stumbled across the other day Bill; sure wish it was mine.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27050

Got a couple of old guns, many old/antique swords/spears etc from all over the world except Japan.
I dug a lot of antique bottles as a kid; still have most of the good ones, old silver snuff boxes, some Netsuke, and Millefiori paperweights. Then there are the nautical paintings and etchings; enough for 2 houses at least. The Missus won't allow 'em in the Maine house so I got a bedroom full upstairs and rotate them on the walls at the Amity house.
There's gonna be one hell of a yard sale someday ... :shock:

You're right about the memories; good and bad.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Just prior to finding my switchblade addiction, I was collecting the 1968-1972 Schwinn Stingray Krate 5-speed bicycles. 20 of those bikes can take up lots of room in a home. Just sold my last one maybe the Christmas before last. This 1970 was the last I held onto, but sold. I doubt today's public would go for a bike named "Cotton Picker" anymore...

Last edited by JulesVane on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Old, classic cars. My first was a 1941 Packard, model 110 4 door touring sedan that I got from my grandmother in high school. I still have it. Most dependable car I ever owned. Never failed to start and GO.
115-1517_IMG.JPG
115-1517_IMG.JPG (185.84 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

Then for college I bought a 1956 Packard 400, a hard top with power everything and a huge (for that time) 374 cu in engine. The thing was very comfortable to drive but drank high test gas like it was nothing. I once got all of 6 MPG.

Later on I acquired a 1933 Packard Super 8 convertible sedan meaning it had four doors. It had power brakes and a vacuum clutch unit that allowed gear shifts to be made without using the pedal. The shocks were adjustable as was the pedal pressure for the brakes. It had Pilot Ray lights that were connected to the steering thereby lighting the way around curves. Radio, heater and white sidewall tires, what more could you ask for...
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

Still later I bought a Packard Twelve All Weather Cabriolet, body by Brunn. This beast weighed almost 3 tons. The weight and suspension meant that no matter how rough the road, the ride was incredibly smooth. With jump seats you could seat six including the driver.
39-3.jpg
39-3.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

The last car was a 1966 Lincoln convertible. Those cars were the last 4 door convertibles made in the US. The various parts of the top mechanism such as electric motors, solenoids, limit switches, wiring, etc. were extremely complex.

All sold except for the '41.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

For me it is knives ( all types), fishing stuff and guns. I also have a ton of cloths but don't consider them a collection but I have enough to be one !
thom

Post by thom »

I have had a few cars including 1968 Mustang GT fastback, (Bullit Mustang), a few Triumph TR250, MG Midget, TVR, and a Lotus 7. I also had a small collection of shotguns, mostly Winchester 101's.
When I was a kid of course I had baseball cards and model cars.
Thom
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Live music bootlegs... my humble list is woefully outdated, but if anybody sees something they want or a show they attended, I'm happy to share tapes...: http://db.etree.org/luke_of_mass

IIRC a couple other people in the Italian switchblade community are also in bootleg trading circles...

Also baseball cards. Thanks to the internet you can find the home addresses of most players and send them a card with a return envelope and ask for a signature... you'd be surprised at how many of the guys will get back to you. The scrubs have extra fun with it.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i used to collect x-wives butt found it to be two exspencive so i stopped. now it's just tools knives and bad judgements.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I used to collect money but it didn't work out well for me.
2024 candidate for president
thom

Post by thom »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:20 am Live music bootlegs... my humble list is woefully outdated, but if anybody sees something they want or a show they attended, I'm happy to share tapes...: http://db.etree.org/luke_of_mass

IIRC a couple other people in the Italian switchblade community are also in bootleg trading circles...

Also baseball cards. Thanks to the internet you can find the home addresses of most players and send them a card with a return envelope and ask for a signature... you'd be surprised at how many of the guys will get back to you. The scrubs have extra fun with it.
Luke,
You call that humble? I call it unbelievable. I downloaded tons of songs from WinMx years ago. I see your comments, can you tell me they mean? A lot of bootlegs have horrible quality. I see some I would love to have, if the quality is listenable. Big Allman Brothers fan and Pink Floyd. I saw some others but they stood out to me.

Thom
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

thom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 pm
Luke_of_Mass wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:20 am Live music bootlegs... my humble list is woefully outdated, but if anybody sees something they want or a show they attended, I'm happy to share tapes...: http://db.etree.org/luke_of_mass

Luke,
You call that humble? I call it unbelievable. I downloaded tons of songs from WinMx years ago. I see your comments, can you tell me they mean? A lot of bootlegs have horrible quality. I see some I would love to have, if the quality is listenable. Big Allman Brothers fan and Pink Floyd. I saw some others but they stood out to me.

Thom
I hit you up over PM to prevent a thread derailment.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I don't collect things per se, just have groups of things I used to buy from time to time which I'm no longer much interested in.

Unbuilt plastic model kits from the 60's; mostly aircraft such as Aurora Famous Fighters, also AMT car kits. Have about 100 or so, no idea what I will ever do with them.

Old guns, especially turn of the century target rifles. A burst case in an old Winchester dampened my enthusiasm about 20 years ago. Since I didn't lose an eye or a few fingers, I decided to quit while I was ahead. Since I wasn't shooting them anymore, buying any more "new" antiques seemed pointless.

Guitars; Switched to old guitars after I lost interest in antique guns. I haven't played professionally for decades, but have held on to some nice ones such as my '68 Rickenbacker 330 12 string in "Mapelglow" finish, A Gibson LG-0, Mostly Fenders plus some specials I built. Only 11 but I still enjoy them. I'm building a Les Paul kit at this time. Arthritis in my left hand has greatly reduced my ability to play though.

So, I'm not so much a collector as a guy who has abandoned collecting things several times.

Tools and machinery. 2 small CNC milling machines plus a manual one, 2 lathes, all the other small stuff an average personcan name; Drill presses, saws, a small press, belt sanders, etc. Hand tools, both power and otherwise, by the ton. Micrometers etc. by the dozens. Not so much collecting but adding to my kit as the need arose. I'm deciding what to keep and what to sell, as I retired from my life long industrial career last Thursday.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Tom, congrats and hope you enjoy your retirement!