I'm heading back to Tijuana.

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I'm heading back to Tijuana.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'll be flying to Denver (from PDX). After a 10-hour layover, I'll have a 2 1/2 hour flight to Charles Lindbergh field in San Diego. I'll arrive at 11:38 on the morning of the 16th. I'll take a bus, then the trolley to the International border at San Ysidro, and walk the 2.2 miles to the Aqua Rio Hotel in Tijuana.
I'll head back to PDX on the 23rd at 7:00 am and arrive in PDX at 9:33 am.
6 days and 7 nights in Tijuana with:
  • Great food at low prices,
    The beach,
    Wonderful trinkets for friends,
    Relaxing times.
(Trust me, I need this).
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Re: I'm heading back to Tijuana.

Post by whippersnapper »

Did you ever make it down in the Lincoln?
Fishtail Picklock

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 am Did you ever make it down in the Lincoln?
No, I figured it all out, and I can fly on Frontier from PDX to DEN, cool my heels for 10 hours and fly on down to SAN in another 2 1/2 hours for less than $200.00. It would cost $550.00-600.00 to take the Lincoln and It would take at least 19 hours until I took a rest at milepost 58 for at least 6 hours, then drive on to Mexico. (I'd rather arrive feeling somewhat refreshed, than driving myself tired).

When I fly, I can arrive at 11:38 in the morning and be in my room by 2:30 in the afternoon. I'll fly on Alaska Airlines back to PDX on March 23rd at 7:00, and arrive at PDX @ 9:33. I can take the light rail to Union Station and catch the 2:30 bus up the Lower Columbia Gorge and be on my way home by the late afternoon.
Fishtail Picklock
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

have a good time,the last time I was in San Diego I was there for 10 days,but neve got to go to TJ.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Make sure you check the local shops for knives again !!!! Have fun !!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

How are the crowds down there? Are many Americans taking advantage of those attractions you mention?

The route you outline makes a lot of sense. The border crossing in a private car has been a problem in the past, too many with lots of inspections....

Used to go to Ensenada in the old days. A bus ride away from TJ, or a cab/Uber, but not sure how it works these days. Hussong's Cantina was a big draw.
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

On average, what are hotel costs per night and what is an average meal in relation to what something similar would cost in the US?
Fishtail Picklock

I am paying $46.98 per night at the Hotel Aqua Rio on Avenida Constitucion for seven nights (3/16 - 3/23). Bottled water and coffee in the rooms, (sanitized daily). Satellite flat-screen television, air conditioning, toiletries in the rooms, the works. You would likely pay a healthy $100-$120 for such a room in San Ysidro (right across the border) in California. I am getting a free Continental Breakfast from 0700-1000 each and every morning.

Meals run from $4.00 to $8.00 USD, A Museum visit can run from $1.50 (Tijuana Wax Museum) to about $3.00 for the Tijuana Cultural Center Museum (This includes admission to the IMAX theater on the museum property).

A group taxi (bus ride) to the beach from downtown is a good 15 pesos (75-81 cents) one way. To Puerto Nuevo, I can catch a group taxi for about $3.00 (I get Senior Citizen rates). A huge lobster dinner can run between $30-$40 for a full tail that was caught that very morning. A Caesar Salad (made where the salad was created). The large salad at the Hotel Caesar on Revolution Avenue runs about $8.00 +propina (tip). I make a special effort to eat there every time I am in Tijuana. They baste the Romaine lettuce leaves in their proprietary Ceasar Salad Dressing and do it at your table while you watch.

A great plate of Chinese food will run a whopping $4.00 and a Tostada Seviche will run $2.75 each at either a restaurant or a food truck. I'm telling you, the food is worth the trip. If you bring $300, you can eat for a week and still have money left over when you cross back into the US and head home.

I go, stay completely sober (I neither drink nor use) and have an outstanding time chatting with the locals, drink either limeade or lemonade, and have a real ball. Only the idiots get drunk, fall victim to scams, and go to jail, or prison. Keep it clean, be friendly, and if the price isn't marked, don't be afraid to barter. (It can be half the fun).

Some Californians that really understand how to enjoy the area like to relax on the beach and soak up the local color. International tourists aren't hard to spot.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

PS. Today, the peso is .488 cents (less than 5 cents). It fluctuates, but the prices are attractive when compared to the US.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Tom19176 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm Make sure you check the local shops for knives again !!!! Have fun !!
If I buy a "prohibited" knife, I'd probably be searched and tapped at US Customs. This would be an expensive mistake. :roll: :oops:

Not going to do this. Wouldn't be either reasonable or prudent. Nope, I'll do all my knife shopping back in the good ol' US of A.
Fishtail Picklock
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I was thinking more of seeing what is there not bringing one home! I wouldn't either. I keep hearing some guys say there are still older knives for sale at good prices. Just wondering what the truth is.....
Fishtail Picklock

An old man like me usually doesn't raise too many eyebrows. I could probably tuck a knife in my sport coat jacket pocket and walk on through. I just don't want to risk the humility and/or the fine associated with bringing back an automatic knife.

I'll peruse the shops on Revolution Avenue and see what's shaking.
Fishtail Picklock
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

How is the trip? Any good knife sightings?
Fishtail Picklock

I just made it here this morning. Having driving here for 24 hours and having slept only 3 hours this morning at the Oceanside rest area. Going 44 hours without sleep and driving 1089 miles without any rest darned near drove me to distraction. After I awakened feeling nearly frozen I rolled into Tijuana after eating a ham and eggs at Dennys in San Ysidro. I have remained awake all day so that I can sleep hard tonight.

No, the automatic knives in the shops are mostly Rizzuto swing guard "wannabees" that are poorly stamped Chinese crap. I actually found two new TOP OTF autos that wouldn't even eject and lock open. Both were poorly manufactured; nothing more than junk.

I might give one to an MS-13 "pretender" but I wouldn't waste the money.
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Thought you were flying down? Well, I guess you finally made it anyhow. Have a good time.