Ammo blues...

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Ammo blues...

Post by Bonzo »

Ladies, Fish, and Gentlemen,

If'n anyone has any surplus .30 Carbine they want to let go, I'm all ears. I do have quite a surplus of .22LR russian I could trade...

The great ammo shortage is getting miserable.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Billyfish

Re: Ammo blues...

Post by Billyfish »

Very miserable.
I needed to source cases for my MAS 11mm revolver (obsolete ammo) ; finally found some at Buffalo Arms. I wanted to buy 200 brass cases, they cost with shipping near to $200.00. I don't reload myself so I sent them out to Colorado Custom Cartridges and had a long chat with Bob the owner, he told me that he had barely enough large pistol primers but he would do the job.
Large pistol primers are ridiculously expensive these days as are most primers esp on Gunbroker.

Agree it is miserable and I wonder if things will ever get back to normal.
I have a bad feeling that there will be a New Normal coming that we will not like.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Miserable indeed, I saw a video by the CEO of the company that makes several well known ammo brands. He cited the several reasons we all know for the ammo shortage and added that they are making more ammo than they ever have, and as much as they can, to try to catch up with demand. Because of their increase in ammo production they are using more primers. He stated that they use whatever primers they get for ammo first, then sell the remaining primers for the reloading market. There are fewer primers for them to sell for reloading due to the increase in ammo output. I think the question we all have is when will supply catch up with demand...

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yeah, I thought it was bad 7-8 months ago. It has only got worse. My local small shops are wiped out of everything.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

It will get better when people stop hoarding it. I still have a hoard from the Obama days.
2024 candidate for president
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

.30 is going in the neighborhood of a buck a round on Gunbroker.
Those custom loads for my MAS are going to cost me about 3 bucks a round.
Makes you think twice about having a casual afternoon at the range.
Too damned cold to go to the rod and gun here these daze to shoot the 9 which we have plenty of ammo for.
Happiness is not an 18 degree LCP.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Billyfish wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 am .30 is going in the neighborhood of a buck a round on Gunbroker.
Those custom loads for my MAS are going to cost me about 3 bucks a round.
Makes you think twice about having a casual afternoon at the range.
Too damned cold to go to the rod and gun here these daze to shoot the 9 which we have plenty of ammo for.
Happiness is not an 18 degree LCP.
Mr. Billyfish,

I've been eyeballing Gunbroker for some time, and I'll probably have to bite the bullet so to speak, and dump a few C-notes. I am however, more selective and deliberate at what I'm shooting at, even with .22LR. The days of churning up dirt with the MAK90 are few and far between. I do have a simple cure for shooting in bitter weather, as I'm at over 4,000 ft. Pumpkins & Tannerite. It makes a great snow scene.

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Bonz you can do better than a buck a round. SGammo has .30 in stock https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-carbi ... clips-kore
$79.50 plus $12 bucks shipping comes to about .76 cents per round. Not good but better than a buck. Looks like you can order atleast 2 for the same shipping charge.

They say they have stock right now....

Does Oregon really have no sales tax? Must be nice...

If you really want to bite the bullet they have 1080 round cans for $637.20 +$25 to ship + about .61 cents per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-carbi ... bandoliers

I have ordered from them before and they were great but it was before the pandemic shit.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I am however, more selective and deliberate at what I'm shooting at, even with .22LR.
Even .22 rimfire is going for .20-30 cents a round right now... I planned on shooting a new pistol a bunch this winter but not anymore.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

whippersnapper wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:00 pm
I am however, more selective and deliberate at what I'm shooting at, even with .22LR.
Even .22 rimfire is going for .20-30 cents a round right now... I planned on shooting a new pistol a bunch this winter but not anymore.
Mr. Whippersnapper,

I just fired my new S&W Liberty a few weeks ago after looking at it for a couple months. Very solid. Had a S&W 22A that had a serious defect, the factory gave me the Liberty in exchange, no charge, brand spanking new. It’s still semi cheap fun. Since we don’t have sales tax in Oregon, they bend us over on the income tax. It’s a lot cheaper than the CA taxes I was paying a few years back. The thing I love, is I get to walk out of the gun shop with my guns, no waiting period, and there’s always a nice selection of switchblades to play with. The Benchmade OTF’s got quite a work out the other day...

I’ll check out that site. Thanks.

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The Liberty looks like a great gun! 8)

Just got back from a walk in the woods in back of the house. Missed two rabbits with my Keltec P17 .22. I'm now 1 fer 5 on the bunnies with that little pistol... :roll: They haven't been cooperating in giving me close standing shots. Been hungry for some stew.

I didn't plan on it but ended up shooting about a hundred rounds(not at the rabbits). Just so fun to plink with I couldn't resist.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

whippersnapper wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:13 pm
I didn't plan on it but ended up shooting about a hundred rounds(not at the rabbits). Just so fun to plink with I couldn't resist.
Mr. Whippersnapper,

It’s soothing to the soul. Cottontails or hares?

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Cottontails. I have to go about an hour north to get into any Snowshoe hares.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:18 am Cottontails. I have to go about an hour north to get into any Snowshoe hares.
Mr. Whippersnapper,

Not much to the cottontails out here, and nobody eats jack rabbit. The gray squirrels however make a tasty stew, and make an easier target. Just saw Federal .22LR Black Pack on gunbroker at a decent price. They are not bad, 36 gr is a little light, but still fun to shoot .

Best regards,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I haven't seen a good deal on gun broker in months. Maybe I just suck at looking.

I went hunting this afternoon. Figured maybe critters would be moving before the big storm dumps on us. I was wrong. All I accomplished was exercise and scratching the heck out of myself busting through the briars.