So what you all going to do?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Re: So what you all going to do?

Post by tr4252 »

Friday management announced that the company I work at is closing for an indefinite period, per NY State order. I went in Saturday, as part of the shut-down crew. Then when I went in Sunday morning, to complete the shutdown, we were told that a limited work force would continue to work (We got an exemption because we make some high tech medical equipment), and got to work undoing all the procedures we started Saturday. I was asked to report for B shift Monday. Cool!, I've still got a job. But the place was closed when I got there, and it was obvious from the snow on the parking lot nobody showed up for 1st shift either. So, the first hour of my day was spent driving through a miserable wet snowstorm for nothing.

I've got about 6 1/2 weeks of paid time off accumulated, and the company is giving each of us an additional 80 hours free PTO. Once that is gone I don't know what I'm going to do. NY State is the hardest hit by the virus, in the U.S., so, I wonder if I'll get sick first or go broke. What a pain in the ass this year has been so far.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

You should be eligible for unemployment I would think.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

But the place was closed when I got there, and it was obvious from the snow on the parking lot nobody showed up for 1st shift either. So, the first hour of my day was spent driving through a miserable wet snowstorm for nothing.
I wonder what changed in a few hours? I have a couple friends at manufacturing and tool and die shops that have managed to keep working because their companies do some medical production.
sammy the blade

Pretty sure the liquor stores are still open, I hope!
sammy the blade

Got lucky, found some beer at the Dollar store here in town. Not my brand but in hard times it doesn't pay to be picky. HO HO.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Beer at the dollar store...You guys have good dollar stores.
sammy the blade

Cigarettes too but no rolling papers or bongs, maybe soon.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Tom did your job call you to say anything about the shut down after they said they would be partially open? I have been able to work from home for now. Time will tell how long that will last. I have unlimited PTO, but once again let's see how that goes too.
I am in NY too, and I kept going in till this week, but at 60 years old and in the hot spot of the nation, I figured it was time to work from home.....
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

whippersnapper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:28 pm
But the place was closed when I got there, and it was obvious from the snow on the parking lot nobody showed up for 1st shift either. So, the first hour of my day was spent driving through a miserable wet snowstorm for nothing.
I wonder what changed in a few hours? I have a couple friends at manufacturing and tool and die shops that have managed to keep working because their companies do some medical production.
I'm not sure what could have happened, but I wasn't notified in any way. I'm guessing that when my supervisor told me to come in Monday we were still going to work at about 10% capacity, since we got that exemption, and from higher up the decision was made to close, but he didn't get around to letting me know. In hindsight, I think it's better for me to stay home, though at the time I was disappointed as hell. I guess that the decision to close was made by the company CEO after the latest news about what's going on here in Syracuse; we have 53 cases as of yesterday (known cases), and none, that we know, just a few days ago.

Yes, unemployment is a possibility. I hate to think about it. I'm trying to stay on the books as long as possible, as I really don't want to lose this job.

How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing better with your cold.

Tom
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Tom19176 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am Tom did your job call you to say anything about the shut down after they said they would be partially open? I have been able to work from home for now. Time will tell how long that will last. I have unlimited PTO, but once again let's see how that goes too.
I am in NY too, and I kept going in till this week, but at 60 years old and in the hot spot of the nation, I figured it was time to work from home.....
No notification; they have all my contact information, I suppose it was an oversight. The only communication I've gotten is a daily email that the CEO sends us, (it wasn't until yesterday she told us the shop was closed and that nobody should report for work) and an email exchange I had with HR the day before yesterday.

I think you are doing the smart thing to stay at home. I'm 68, and my attitude has changed a lot since Monday. I'm keeping isolated in the house with the GFH (girlfriend from hell). I need to go out today, but that will be it for a while. I'll be masked and gloved, and observing all the other precautions, however silly I may look.

Good luck to you; stay well. This may take a while.

Tom
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing better with your cold.
I still have a cough that I can't seem to shake, but otherwise not too bad.

My wife decided to take 2 weeks off last Sunday. Just too many people in the store sick that she decided to no longer chance going in.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I hope we are all doing well today. I figured with all of us on lock down that there would be more posts on TB and SD? I hope we are all taking time to look over our collections and share some posts !
john

Post by john »

Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

john wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm My son texted this to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-IAumaJJRK ... 9g1k3ytzjx
that's very well done.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Very good video!