American Music Institution Gone

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

American Music Institution Gone

Post by stepdaddy »

Johnny Cash, who was in my opinion one of the greatest has passed on. The man in black will always be remembered through beautiful hymns, powerfull ballads, and some early dark classics. Johnny had a sound all his own, and if never soldout. He'd call it as he saw it, and didn't care who didn't like it. No pampered star treatment expected here. Now reunited with June I hope Johnny can find peace he seemed to lack here on earth.

Now I must go find LIVE FROM San Quentin Prison
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Two Great [and very different individuals] in the same week. Both affected most of us in one way or another. Either on an emotional level or a humorous one [or both]. Both will be missed.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

oh no :cry: i loved johnny cash..as a kid my mom took me to see him play here in vancouver - there was always something about his voice that was so real, so emotion evoking... he will be greatly missed.
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

As a pup, I grew up in Oklahoma and heard a lot of C & W music, much more than I was prepared to appreciate. Over that time, given that I thought I knew everything worth knowing, I failed to understand the many contributions of Mr. Cash to the world I inhabited. Since, I have come to value his influence on both varied styles of music, and my life. It is with great reverence that I note Mr. Cash's passing, and how his contributions have made this world a better place.
I hope whatever is next, is good for you Johnny. Thank you for what you left for us here.
-rats-
Last edited by ratstuph on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheep-free since '93'...
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

I just got up to hear the news,BUMMER!I was only playing Hurt dvd last night.He was a one off,and one of the last of the real men of music!Thanks for all the good songs Johnny! :( Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I spent a good portion of last night listening to Johnny. The man was pure genius he had his own style which to me never seemed like country music. What ever song he sang or covered he did great. IMO you can not buttonhole him and say country because it was much closer to pure Americana. Roy Orbison was another with his own sound. Gonna miss you John.
PB
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Hey, guys. Don't forget that Tex's boy, John Ritter bit the radish yesterday too. Warren, Johnny, and John. Three's Company.

Greyblade
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yes what a tragedy, only 55, and he died on his daughters 5th birthday....very sad....

i spent many hours as a kid watching 3's company - was a great show!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
I don't understand were other people in Three's Company besides Susane Sommers? Who is 3 times as hot now since she has aged a bit.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i agree, i had a pretty serious schoolboy crush on her, and farrah fawcett too, but she didn't fair so well with age....
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

In all fairness we apologize for those stupid posts. Afterall this is a serious thread about a great musician we have lost
PB
Mr.Bigg
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yes, i meant no disrespect at all....
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

My guess, not that I have any basis for it, is both Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cash would have appreciated the frivolity. Most of the people I find compelling sooner or later show their appreciation for life's folly.
R..h
sheep-free since '93'...
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

mrbigg wrote:yes, i meant no disrespect at all....
No by all means lets stay on the subject of how we all would've loved to give chrissy a shot :lol:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Hey Steppdaddy your not exempt.
PB