Favorite knife of the moment?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hollowdweller

Favorite knife of the moment?

Post by hollowdweller »

What is your favorite knife of the moment, and why? Have you actually used it on anything? What?

Mine would be Microtech LCC/DA, carried yesterday. Cut open a bag of potting soil, a bag of lime, and a bale of hay with it.

Anybody else? Pics??
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Favorite knife of the moment is my kershaw scallion, so sharp I I cut fishing line with it I can cut bait with it, I can cut boxes, cut rope, sliced open thick bags, I use it as a small work knife, it still has a razor edge, not even a nick or burr in the blade, I washed it out, I even shaved with it after all of this when the hell am I going to have to hoan or sharpen this thing? Anyhow I'm getting a Buck Hunter Folder 110 (2002 centinal edtiton) 4" blade. Anyhow I'll be taking that nice new buck out camping in Northen Ontario. Maybe it could fend off them bears :roll:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Favorite

Post by Vagrant »

It just arrived [priority mail] let's see what's in the box--------------------------It's a Folding Guard Esparcia in Red Staminawood, that's my favorite-------------Wait there's another, a Joker Laguiole style Folding Hunter in Red Stamina with a sheath. O.K. My favorite was the Esparcia until I saw the Joker [the Joker shaves right out of the Box].
So the Joker is my favorite, [until the next shipment arrives]. But then again the Russian Levrlock I got Sat. is still awfully nice hmmm -----------------------decisions,decesions.
tat2kid

Post by tat2kid »

:D new favorite knife? A Mikov i got from Mr. Tiny, then i could'nt resist and sent it off to Mr. Nemo, nothing better than a custom knife. Perfect for everything, and it's built like a tank. a good everyday user with style...... :D .....kid.......
...kid......
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Tatoo,

I saw a pic of the knife you mention. Looked really great. I should be getting my "mikov camper" from Nemo soon and can't wait. It'll probably be my fave for a good while.

Vagrant,

I thought your russian got lifted. How do you like it? Blade look like it is pretty good steel? Wish I knew where the plant was in Russia. One of the docs I work with goes there all the time. I'd have him send me a few . Not familiar with the others you mention. Wish you had the ability to post pics of them, I'd like to see em.
Roccomo

Re: Favorite knife of the moment?

Post by Roccomo »

hollowdweller wrote:What is your favorite knife of the moment, and why? Have you actually used it on anything? What?

Mine would be Microtech LCC/DA, carried yesterday. Cut open a bag of potting soil, a bag of lime, and a bale of hay with it.

Anybody else? Pics??

Mr Hollowdweller, my favorite knife of the moment is my blue acrylic handled sigfried lever. Had it maybe a year and a half and even though I thought a replacement was in order and tried to do so with a stiletto that sigfried just bubbles right back to the top. Its an excellent working knife and thats what makes it valuable to me. Plus I like the styling of it. It's really pocketable and the pen blade shape is versatile. Also it takes a razor edge. Uses? It does it all.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Russian switch

Post by Vagrant »

Hollowdweller,
Customs DID get my Russian. Saturday I went to one of my favorite Gun Shops and the owner wanted to show me something he got on his latest trip to Russia. Can we guess what he showed me? Mine is the same as the ones KS had except mine has some file work on the liners next to the backspring. Great knife. Fast, solid, sharp and nice "feel" in the hand.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sorry, I have to go with 2 favorites at the moment

1. Hubertus 12cm white micarta leverlock, beautiful polished round style (there is a proper name for this style) blade, very, very hard kick. I bought this from Vagrant and his inspection report was that is a really nice one, so it is likely a much better than average example.

2. 9 in dagger blade, staghorn stiletto, exceptionally pretty high contrast (snow white to dark brown) stag, perfectly tight lock-up, good snap and sound. I spent some time with the Simichrome on this one and polished the blade to a really great mirror finish.

I noticed SKM and Tiny have some of these dagger blade stiletos in stock. I am tempted to get a few more right now, but had better start saving. I don't believe that I will be able to resist the upcoming Black Beauty reincarnation.

Jim
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Forumites,

I would have to say its my super custom swing guard, created at the hands of the semi-transparent Wally J. Corpse. He presented it to me upon my Knight Hood as the Doofus Emeritus of the Sacred Mt. Zoomie. I think his speech was something like, 'Moe, Larry, Cheese' This particular hand made custom is on display on the Tiny's Museum pic page, featuring the master knife maker himself.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

My favorite? I don't think that I can narrow it down to just one. Right now, I have a black and cammy Dalton Companion in my pocket that brings me joy every time it snaps open - sharp and pointy. But ... I have a couple of Mikovs on the way from The Knifeshop, one with a plain blade and dark horn scales, and one with the ABS scales, partially serrated blade and the can-opener/bottle-opener dodads. The latter of these seem to me to have real potential for an all-around work and sport (fishing, general stabbing & cutting duties) knife. I think its been said before: my favorite is the one I don't have yet. :wink:

Deep in addiction,
Greyblade
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Oh man! I just ordered a Paragon X-Olite auto from PVK. I've got it bad! I can't seem to control this knife Jones today. Maybe this will be my favorite. Stay tuned ...

Greyblade
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Hi Guys,My favourite carry knife at the moment is my 14 1/2"blade James Black Bowie knife.It's awsome and comes in real handy for cleaving the odd limb or two.Also cool at opening the odd can of beans,although this can be a touch messy.This is really a great all round knife.Only drawback is,my jeans keep falling down around my knees as I walk down the street!Can be a little embarassing!Cheers the spotlight kid. :oops:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've given up trying to choose. The Dagger blades are nice but a little light duty. [I have 3 or 4 in stock so I hope they "catch on"]. The Russian Leverlock is a "Bear" [like that?] and a great carry/work knife. The almost-auto Kershaws are also really nice. Take your pick, I won't argue.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

I noticed the conspicuous absence of your Pro-Tech Godfather from your list.

Jim
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Jim,

Keen observation. I should have mentioned the Godfather too. :oops: Right now it's resting in that I'm not carrying it on a regular basis. But as far as fast, sharp, pointy, and intimidating go, it's number 1. If I had to list the top knives that are currently in my collection, they would be (in no particualr order):

ProTech Godfather
Dalton Companion
Ruger All-Weather
Frank Beltrame/TSF SS & damascus 11" picklock stilettos
Hubertus 10" stag handled SlimLine leverlock
Frank Beltrame SS 11" bayo stiletto with honey horn scales that especially handsome
AB/SKM damascus 11" dark horn, honey horn, and stag stilettos

It's just that there are so many cool knives out there right now, and there appear to be new ones and variants of current favorites coming along. We'll see if the Mikovs or the Paragon X-Olite that I have on order displace any on the list.

Greyblade