DON'T help me I can't stop

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

DON'T help me I can't stop

Post by Vagrant »

I've repeatedly defended the WW-2 Italian Carcano Rifle as being a victim of bad press. I bought my 4th one today at the flea market [$35] and I don't feel guilty at all. In fact I love it.
missaman

Post by missaman »

celebrate with a pizza and sambuca :lol:
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

What cal, and have any pics?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

6.5 [Sporterised by the usual post war "hobbyist", I don't care I'll shoot it not look at it].
I e-mailed a pic to a couple members they can post or e-mail me and I'll e-mail it to you also. [Learning to post pics is next but it took me 3 years to finally get the camera and I'm still learning it].
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

This is it....

All the best
Teddy
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Mr. Lee Harvey Vagrant,

Please stay out of Schoolbook Repositories having 6 or more floors and windows opening onto public streets, plazas, and grassy knolls.

Thank you,
John Fitzgerald Greyblade
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

LMAO
The accuracy of these has made me reconsider the possibilities of the rifle itself but NOT the overall doubts about the coverup.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

Well done!!

Jim
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Vagrant,

I'd bet that you already know this, but I have to ask if you're going to proof that rifle before you put it up to your face. There's been a lot said about late war gov't. issue, and I know this isn't the place. I just hope you'll clamp it to a bench and expend a few of your heavier loads to test fire it.

I say this with respect; you may know a lot more than I do. A ruptured case in an old winchester single shot taught me the lesson; I got off easy.

I used to shoot one of those myself as a kid. My father had it back in the late 50's - early 60's, got rid of it post-assination. Nice old gun. At least I've still got his Model 70.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tr4252

The only Carcanos [Carcani?] I would absolutely "proof test" would be the ones converted by the Germans to 8mm Mauser[I doubt I'd shoot one anyway]. These were done in a hurry and the conversion removed a lot of metal [if the barrel was rebored and if rebarreled headspace may be way off]. The 6.5mm was not a "hot" round and commercial loads are usually milder then surplus. Also "matching numbers" are reassuring. The lack of recent import marks means it's been here a long time, and some knowledge of it's history indicates it's has been fired many times since it first came here. Visual inspection [with magnification] indicates no signs of any flaws or even "stress risers". Older or questionable guns a "proof tested" with a solinoid or air cylinder set-up when possible. That let's you turn a couple corners instead of the straight line of sight a string has.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Thanks for mailing me the pics Vagrant, very nice stuff!

I need to find somebody local to school me a bit.
i'd really like to get into rifles, but i'm lacking alot of info so i'm hesitant.