They don't make 'em like THIS anymore....

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

They don't make 'em like THIS anymore....

Post by Teddy »

Another test pic that's too nice not to share...

Mr. Vagrant said....(on another thread)

Cast iron block pushrod V8s
- Carburetors (!) - no fuel injection allowed
- Restricter plates to limit power
- No electronic monitoring allowed, not even for safety or crash data gathering
- Refueling from a can"
Sounds like my car except for the restricter plate.

And THIS is the car in question....

Best wishes
Teddy

ps.. slightly touched up to remove some surface rust... :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Teddy
I'm rusty but its a Ford Galaxy and I would say 65.
PB
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Spot on PB,

Was that an informed guess or did Mr. Vagrant send you the pic also...? :wink:

All the best
Teddy
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Teddy,

Mr. Tiny sent me a pic of Mr. Vagrant breaking lug nuts on that car from the reaer end. I will confirm that is a Galaxy. I wish I still had that pic.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Bonz,

Surprisingly enough Mr. Vagrant did happen to mention it was a '65 Ford Galaxy 500 when he sent me the pic....

Best wishes
Teddy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Galaxy 500 LTD, trasitional year [one of?] the first for LTD one of the last for Galaxy. Teddy cleaned-up the pic just a little the bumper has some rust. [Gives me incentive to have it done for real]. When I broke the lugs I knew even a guy named "Tiny" wasn't a lot of help, he might break them a lot easier but not any more broken. [At one point he did spot that the lug wrench was "cocked" a little and likely to break another one. A lot of little things need work but the AC still works, very nice in the weather we've been having.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Teddy
Informed guess old cars are almost equal to my passion for switches. Why would Vagrant send me a pic of your car
PB
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Pushbutton wrote:Teddy
Informed guess old cars are almost equal to my passion for switches. Why would Vagrant send me a pic of your car
PB
PB, my eagle-eyed ole pal... you did good to identify the classic car (and the year of manufacture).... but missed the bit in my post that said it is Mr. Vagrant's car.... and that he sent me the pic as a test..... he sent other members pics too...... I have absolutely no idea who though....

All the best
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Teddy
I see that now but I doubt al would send me a pic. I specialize in pre 50's some 50's some 60'' and in the 70's my love affair dwindled to zippo because cars started looking like crap I won't even bother remarking about what the 80's,90'sand 00' were. give me 49 Merc chopped and chanelled,full skirts,lake pipes,moons or spinners.scavenger pipes,frenched headlights well you get the pic.When a car was a car.40 Ford coupe, 40 Willeys, 32,34,36 Fords and a 25 bucket the list goes on.
PB
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

PB,

I'm also in love with some of the older American cars..... one of my favourites is the Chevrolet Impala (late 50's I think)....I just loved those huge rear fins.... when I was a kid ... shortly after leaving school ...a mate of mine's dad had one (convertible if I remember right)........ it looked bloody HUGE compared to the average British car.... and what a ride......our cars were bone-shakers.... that was real smooth...and yes Mr. Vagrant's Galaxy was definitely among the last of the "lookers"... with a few exceptions....

All the best
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

You guys would appreciate the third Saturday of the month from April through October at a local Dennys (patterned after a 50's diner) in my fine little town. There is an informal classic car show that has grown to about 200 cars. Folks just come and display their car in the parking lot and overflow into the adjacent grocery store parking lot. About half are 60's muscle cars, about 25% are 50's vintage, the remaining 25 % are a smattering of older cars and vintage sports cars. PB, there was a 49 Merc there tonight! I was going to talk to the owner but an approaching thunderstorm had him lowering the hood and packing up to leave.

Jim