Mr. Vagrant has a camera

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Mr. Vagrant has a camera

Post by Teddy »

For those among us that have been looking forward to seeing some of Mr. Vagrant's collection (and other stuff)..... the wait is over....I've offered to host his pics for him....he sent this one as a test but I thought they looked too nice not to post....... I give you.... some of Mr. Vagrant's 45's
though I would NOT fancy firing the bottom one... :shock:

Best wishes
Teddy
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Very nice indeed. The top one looks like a S&W 357 could even be a 44. The middle one got my fancy, Mr. Vagrant is that a Colt double action and how old is it. :D
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Razor,

The middle one has to be a single action due to the trigger/hammer location. Those types are fun to fan, but is a little rough on parts.

Mr. Teddy,

I'd fire any of them in a heartbeat. That, my friend, is what they were made for.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Razor,

They're ALL 45's

Mr. Bonz,

It never occurred to me that you wouldn't......... but a deringer in .45 Long Colt is something I would only fire if my LIFE depended on it....which is of course what it was designed for.

Best wishes
Teddy

ps. SAA's can be fanned without undue wear and tear...I used to use one in "quick-draw" competition.... but I admit "thumb-bustin" does put less strain on 'em..........
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The top one is an Astra [S&W clone with some improvement like coil mainspring and 4 tension settings on it]. The middle one is an Uberti [Colt Single Action Army clone]. The bottom is an American Derringer .45 Colt/.410 shotshell [shoots either]. Thanks to everyone that offered to help me with pics Teddy was awake and on line at the same time I was, so it worrked out great.
catavenger

Post by catavenger »

Those Ubertis are nice, does the derrenger have much kick ?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Vagrant,

Another very practical difference between the Astra clone and a genuine Smith is the sturdier hammer....... I once dropped my model 60 ... it landed on the hammer and bent it back......rendering it useless (it couldn't reach full-cock)......... I also had a model 66 and a 29 ...........both had the same fragile hammers..... they probably STILL have that vulnerability.....

Best wishes
Teddy
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

wouldnt most daringers be attached to some kind of shoot out brace that would act like a stabilizer?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

HTMLBali wrote:wouldnt most daringers be attached to some kind of shoot out brace that would act like a stabilizer?
Only in the movies I would think.. :wink:

A .45 deringer would be a REAL handful..... but it would stop a fight with one well placed shot.......I'd rather trust my life to a .45 than one of the lesser calibres....

Best wishes
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Driving in my car smoking my cigar the only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar WHOOOOOOOOA WOAWAOAWOAWOAW.
Whipping out my switch ain't life a bitch the only time I fire my guns is at a phucking witch. WHOOOOOOOA WHOAWHOA.
Thank You, Thank you we'll be right back after a short break said Ginger 35 years ago. Nice stuff Al. I posted a pic of that manual I asked you about also.
PB
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

ive actually seen those daringer holders that shoot out. YOu can buy them to :lol:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I had a great arm rig for a toy derringer as a kid. I think it was the same type Yancy Derringer used on his TV show.
PB
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Double action, do i feel stupid. I meant single action. :oops:
That Astra sure looks like a S&W 357, very nice and in a 45 cal.

PB, i think i still have one of those arm rigs for a Derringer, remember seeing it somewhere in the garage, not long ago. The first time i saw Wild Wild West and saw our friend Jim with one, i knew then i had to find one. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The old argument over .45 Colt vs .45 Long Colt terminology is a very heated one among "Gun people". I saw a box of wax-bullet fastdraw ammo sold by Colt in the 50s it was labeled .45 Long Colt. I'd say that makes either term correct. this IS a minority opinion but part of the minority is Colt itself.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"I had a great arm rig for a toy derringer as a kid."

In the U.S. such devices on a real Derringer are frowned on by the ATF.