why joe cant get a job

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
slappy / psychoticsumo

why joe cant get a job

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

Joe started the day early, having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m.
While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric
razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).

He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE)
and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could afford to spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his
car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN job.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and wondered why he can't find a good job in AMERICA.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Slappy, you are 100% correct! i used to work for Thomson Consumer Electronics, aka RCA, a now french owned company. we made tv picture tubes that are now being made in China. i will never buy anything with the RCA name on it again, i hope you won't either!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And don't write your congressman with a French pen to complain about the balance of trade.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

It's not the fault of the average any American Joe either, it's the fault of the large corporations moving production to outside countries because it's cheaper. Thats one of the many reasons I don't support "Free-trade". "Free-trade" also supports Gun control and it also supports exploitation of workers by turning a blind-eye when the large heartless multinational corporations do so.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

J-Man is correct hand him a dollar. Joe is not at fault here where would you find american made anything here? Nafta was the manufacturing industrys downfall if you were a worker but for those in positions of power it was a windfall. They keep talking about jobs this and jobs that but where are these jobs? Thanks to a bunch of thieves running the country and helping out their already filthy rich buddies we are on a steady downward path to economic disaster.Why are the same drugs so much cheaper in Canada then in the US. Money talks bullshit walks.I find it both amazing and unbeliveable that we are being ripped off daily by large faceless corporations who are within Federal guidelines to act as immoral as they please and no one questions how screwed up this country is right now. It's easy street for the players in the higher tax bracket that dig it meanwhile back on the street people are getting very frustrated but still in an infancy stage so not ready to place the blame yet. And chances are when the fingers start pointing they will most likely point in the wrong direction never to the direct source.Can everyone spell C-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a
Well all this useless ranting has tired me out so I think I'll go out in the yard and check if my shorts are on correctly.Nightie nite.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My latest item at the flea market - Blowguns AMERICAN MADE ones.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

With all due respect to our Italian hosts (a couple of whose products I own) I also am very happy with and have deliberately collected my (American-made) Buck, Microtech, Colt, Kershaw, and Emerson/Bob Doggett equipment... the country of origin being in the forefront of the purchase decision.

Now that I think about it, the F/B and A/B are the ONLY non-American knives I have!

I know this is OT of being OT but I couldn't help the tie-in. :D
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

the colt knives are now made by united in taiwan!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Oh fer cryin' out loud. Is nothing sacred :!:
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

not anymore.
Not even the american past time Baseball, its now played in Japan :evil: [/i]
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

In all fairness though the Japanese have had a mad passion for Baseball for years.
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Business is international, and becoming more international whether we like or not. For example, a new car whatever the nameplate, hails from 15-20 different countries. The power of transfer pricing effectively mandates this.

Developing nations will continue to attract certain types of jobs. The power that we in developed nations have is intellect and education. These attributes are obviously associated with innovation, and I don't just mean invent something and have it produced elsewhere. For example, much manufacturing is commonly associated with low skill low paying jobs that go elsewhere. Innovation and investment in high technology manufacturing systems keeps these jobs in developed nations and actually brings them back from developing nations. Granted, twenty low skill, low paying manufacturing jobs may be replaced by three high skill, high paying manufacturing jobs (illeterate folks don't program robots). However, the future of developed nations is not in low skill, low paying jobs (for the most part). Lifelong education for those of us in developed countries is a reality :D

Jim
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

You're not kidding, there. I'm studying right now and grazing the forum on breaks between concepts.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

As long as anything is made on machinery the machinery will break, and I have a job.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Vagrant,

Yes, Yes, Yes, my very point. I have heard several firsthand accounts of compaines moving machinery into a low wage country (3 into Mexico and 2 into China), only to move back because of a variety of problems. Machine maintenance, which requires skill and knowledge, was a large contributing factor.

Jim