Used Book Dealers & Book Pricing

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Shag

Used Book Dealers & Book Pricing

Post by Shag »

This post is an extension of my post in Buy & Sell where I am looking for a book. I didn't want that topic to go off tangent, so I am posting the rest of my comments here.

I will never understand why some used (and new) books are priced so insanely?

One dealer has had a copy of a book for sale since 01/2009, I said I would buy it but the cost has to be somewhat more reasonable. He wouldn't even entertain that. I was not asking for 25% off or something, but apparently he'd prefer to keep the shelf space filled with non-moving stock. Some dealers seem to think every book they have on hand is the Magna Carta or the US Constitution, the way they price them.

If a used book dealer has a book listed for $300 and I have seen the same book discounted to $120 several times (but not sold), what do they actually pay for a book when a person sells them or an estate is bought? Is it 25% of what they list it at. is it less?
Is there anyone here who is in the business or has an actual idea of the markups, etc in that area? I'm just curious, nothing else. I don't plan to go and tell someone I know you paid $5 for the book, I'll give you $6. :P

If there is someone here who has insight into the book seller industry, perhaps they can tell me what is going on on Amazon and every other sales site in the world?

For example, a book will be selling New for $20 and maybe up to $50 in the private sellers listing. Now that to me is stupid enough, if Amazon has it brand new for $20, why would a dealer have it for $50, who is going to buy that?

What is worse though, is when the Used column has pricing that is even above the New cost, going up to $800. I just am baffled by this. Why do dealers do this? Do they expect some idiot will suddenly cough up $800 Used when it lists on Amazon new for $20? What's the logic and reasons behind doing this, I just do not have a clue why this is done? All it does imo is waste shelf space and tie up capital. Why not sell a book reasonably and clear it out, why hoard them?

Booksellers? Comments, invited please. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for this. Thank you!
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”