AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by Vagrant »

tr4252 wrote:Bonzo,

Some of the guys I used to work with called that "urban renewal"

Tom
civic action
polution abatement 8)
community improvement
population control
positive reinforcement
malefactor modification
resource redistribution
carbon footprint reduction
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I would take reliabilty over accuracy any day. What good is being able to hit a half dollar at 300 meters if a little dirt shuts down the operation?
Don't get me wrong,I want to hit what I'm aiming at.
I too prefer .30 cal over a .223 but untill I buy a reloader and some day an M-14 my 223 will have to take care of any community improvement and or malefactor modification.

I was a little hard on the M4 in my ealier reply but the fact is I was saving for the Wilson Combat M4-T but in the same price range,give or take a buck is the M-14.

Ammo is a huge factor in most situations,cost,weight,accuracy,recoil,stopping power etc etc.
When "they" come I want to have plenty :!:
Final note: I want to ultimately have something that fires 7.62x51,.556 and the 7.62x39 that way if things go well there will most likely be some spare ammo laying around.
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

Final note: I want to ultimately have something that fires 7.62x51,.556 and the 7.62x39 that way if things go well there will most likely be some spare ammo laying around.
That was my thinking exactly when I first considered purchasing an SKS. I'm still on the fence in regard to the availability of ammo though. How difficult is it to find brass to reload these calibers?
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Since the election ALL ammo is scarce, even 22 LONG RIFLE :shock:
An acquaitance recently bought several boxes of LONGS [hoping they might work in his semi-auto - they didn't].
The 7'62x39 should be about the MOST available but, still supplies can be "spotty" :idea:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Al,

You are right about .22 ammo being scarce since the election. I have read a lot over on rimfirecentral about people hoarding it, many who never kept much of an inventory because they could always get more now keep 10,000, 20,000 or more rounds. The good news is that people are now reporting that availibility is improving and I'm certainly seeing that where I live.

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

In Long Island ,NY there is pleanty of ammo, and there did not seem to be the same rush as elsewhere....
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

Since the election ALL ammo is scarce, even 22 LONG RIFLE
WOW! :shock: I never would have worried about .22. I've always considered my cheapo Henry lever action to be the "Fisher Price toy gun" of the firearms world. I shoot crows and varmits with CB Shorts in the backyard with it. :lol:

My brother-in-law told me that re-loading equipment had become scarce after the election. He has gone out and purchased molds for popular hunting calibers (.30-06, .30-30, .308, .45 etc.) by the skin of his teeth, but could not find one for 7.62x39. That had me a little concerned.

There is a place in middle GA that sold re-loads really cheap and last I heard, they were on their way out of business because our infinately wise govt has decided to stop selling brass to us, and instead shred it and send it to China??? WTF???? Is this true? Same thing with the cars the govt "purchases" via the cash for clunkers program. Is our govt secretly trying to make some sort of concessions on our debt to China? Sure sounds like it, if this is all true... :roll:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

xlr8,

You wrote: "my cheapo Henry lever action to be the "Fisher Price toy gun" Quite a slur against a decent inexpensive .22 in my opinion, I actually like them and am planning to add one as soon as my local gunshop gets it in. .22's are my favorite guns.

Jim
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

xlr8,

You wrote: "my cheapo Henry lever action to be the "Fisher Price toy gun" Quite a slur against a decent inexpensive .22 in my opinion, I actually like them and am planning to add one as soon as my local gunshop gets it in. .22's are my favorite guns.

Jim
It was very much a tounge in cheek comment. I call it "cheapo" because the Hoppe's cleaning solvent I use ate the paint, yes, I said Paint, right off of the reciever. I went ahead and removed the rest of the paint. Other than that, it has proven to be a reliable and very accurate rifle for the price. Accuracy has surprised me. I can hit spent shotgun shells setup on a tree stump at 100 paces. :D I think you'll be happy with one of these, just don't get any solvent on the reciever! :lol:
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

Henry .22 001.jpg
Henry .22 001.jpg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Henry .22 002.jpg
Henry .22 002.jpg (139.41 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
See what I mean...
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Let's see what might be a U.S.A. AK47 equivalent. How about a Ruger Mini 14 it's fairly cheap , robust and reliable.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

catavengercaptain wrote:Let's see what might be a U.S.A. AK47 equivalent. How about a Ruger Mini 14 it's fairly cheap , robust and reliable.
Ruger Mini 30 would be a great equivalent :idea:
All the Mini 14 qualities plus it shoots the AK [7.62x39] round :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

xlr8 wrote:
Henry .22 001.jpg
Henry .22 002.jpg
See what I mean...
It is not paint, it is a plating BUT, some solvents designed to remove fouling [from jacketed bullets] can remove the plating :idea:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

That plating/paint is the only thing I don't like about the Henry. I just learned about it before coming here and reading about it again.

Jim
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Like that henry better with gray steel

When I absolutely have to insure the zombies die; 00 buck.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises