AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: AK-47 U.S. equivalent?

Post by Vagrant »

8)
grj65

Post by grj65 »

Thank God for the Internet. Don't get me wrong, I love my country but I can't help the envy invoked by the knowledge (and availability) of the arsenal that some of the members here on this forum have in their possession.

What a difference colonization makes, huh? If only it wasn't the British...... :cry:
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

I would think the knife equivelent to an AK-47
would be an Okapi it's tough, durable, cheap,and takes a hell of a scary sharp edge,
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Cryptomecanic wrote:I would think the knife equivelent to an AK-47
would be an Okapi it's tough, durable, cheap,and takes a hell of a scary sharp edge,
Or, the Opinel :idea:
Same advantages, minus the "spotty" heat treating on Okapis - mine wouldn't cut butter [as delivered] and doesn't sharpen or hold an edge like an Opinel :(
Others have reported various levels of sharp :?
So IF you get a good one you love them. 8)
All my Opinels have been sharp to scarey sharp and even the ones that were "just sharp", quickly sharpened to scarey sharp :idea:
Same is true of ALL my French [carbon steel] knives :idea:
The French make great knives, blonds, and cheese [in that order, more or less] :lol:
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Um what am I missing -
An okapi looks like a stumpy giraffe with stripes on the rear legs like those of a zebra. In fact they are closely related to giraffes. ...
:?:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

catavengercaptain wrote:Um what am I missing -
An okapi looks like a stumpy giraffe with stripes on the rear legs like those of a zebra. In fact they are closely related to giraffes. ...
:?:
Do a search [top of page] on Okapi or Okapi knife :idea:
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

OK thx, I see that they are made in South Africa. I had just never heard of one before, learn something new each day in here it seems.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

we've got a pretty good thread on the Okapi in Gen Knife Dis, (I dont know how to post a link to a thread :oops: )
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Back to GUNS :wink:
Another way to HELP the economy :idea:
We have confiscated millions of AKs in various military actions AND destroyed them :roll:
We should have rearmed our troops with them [and dumped our gopher gun] or sold the AKs to the public :idea: Either way we would SAVE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :!:
If they were sold to the public our civilians would be a well armed civilian defese reserve that no terrorist group would want to "mess with" :idea: And, the gvmnt could use the profits to help balance the budget 8)
If we reissued them to our troops they would be armed with a [slightly less accurate] but more powerful and reliable assault rifle :idea:
[accuracy is relative and only of value, in a combat gun, if it WORKS 1st time every time] :idea:
This is too logical for even the repooblicans :roll:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Wow! I love this thread. I must agree with Vagrant on almost all accounts.
If I were going to buy an AK it would be the Finnish Valmet with the milled reciever.
Personally I love the Israli Galil best. It has a modified AK action but fires 5.56 or 7.62.
I recently bought a Golani Sporter (after they worked out the bugs) and mine fires absolutely flawless. I have had zero problems but I took the advise of a Marine friend and lubricated it before firing it the first time using Mil-Comm TW-25B.
However the M-14 is simply a bad-ass rifle. I would choose an M-14 over anything...except perhaps some kind of customised,high-end something or other.
I like the AR's/M-16/M4 but not as a military rifle. I'd rather have a Thompson :lol:
It is a damn shame but the AR's/M-16/A4 are in my opinion inferior to several arms such as the AK's,Valmet,Galil's,H&K's,Styer's,SIGARMS 556,FAL's and the list goes on.

Great site.
http://frontlinearmory.com/index.html

Eugene and Mikhail- Mikey looks as if is thinking "What,are you kidding me?"
(sorry to those that like AR's,I would love to have one made by Wilson Combat,they are one of the best I have seen M4-T)

Not to be confused with Eugene the Stoner

As for the Opinel- My brother polished the edge on mine to the point if you stared at it long enough your eyes would bleed. :lol:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Viking45 wrote:.
However the M-14 is simply a bad-ass rifle. I would choose an M-14 over anything...except perhaps some kind of customised,high-end something or other.
Mr.Viking,

Well, I'd like to see a scaled down version of the Browning Automatic Rifle that can still handle the firepower of the 30.06 with a decent cyclic rate comparable to the M-14 or AK-47. That would be one bad ass weapon, BAR none.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Oh yes the BAR is one mean machine! I got goosebumps when I was watching the History Channel one evening and this guy pulls one out of it's original box with all the goodies they came with.
What an incredible rifle,I would love to own one some day.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Vagrant, Bonzo, and Tom make good points. M-14 vs M-16; no contest, except for humping ammo in the field. And the recoil, of course. Wound/kill; bureaucrats like the theory of 2 bearers per wounded, most combat vets seem to favor the "kill them, then kill them some more" principle. The SKS is nice; coincidentally, I'm sighting one downrange in the Other Hobbies thread. It's Czheck made, and a fairly good gun. During that same couple of days at the range, I also used an M-1 carbine. Not a fair comparison, but I like them a lot.

Accuracy vs. reliability - As an industrial guy, the appropriateness (is that a word? Did I spell it correctly? Does anybody give a damn? [I don't]) of precision (accuracy in this case) vs. "still works OK half full of mud" is paramount. What works best is best. I'd rather have a weapon that can put an opponent down with a shot that's 2" off from where I'd aimed, rather than one that could enable a perfect score on a paper target. An arm that doesn't work because too much residue has accumulated in the action is rather emasculating, in spite of its good specifications. Also, the .223 shoots flatter, but I am old fashioned in the preference for the .30 cal.

That said, I'd choose an M-16 over a baseball bat every time.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

tr4252 wrote: Also, the .223 shoots flatter, but I am old fashioned in the preference for the .30 cal. That said, I'd choose an M-16 over a baseball bat every time.
Mr. Tr,

Nothing beats the old fashioned NATO round, but if theres no choice, then the .223 is still a lethal weapon. My son is a Deputy Sheriff. He carries the AR-15. He doesn't like it, but he says, "It's a weapon that can take care of white trash and dangerous native indigeneous inhabitants".

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Bonzo,

Some of the guys I used to work with called that "urban renewal"

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?