gun question

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Keith_Earl

gun question

Post by Keith_Earl »

Since this forum is off topic, I will ask you all your opinion.
Have any of you owned a glock for long term...over 10 years? How does the polymer age? Durable over time?
May be dumb question to some but I am downsizing the number of guns I own and I love my glock 17 the best of all but will it last for a long time( I know "long time" is subjective) specifically the polymer portion...maintain it's integrity?

Thanks for any sincere replies.

KE
redeye

Re: gun question

Post by redeye »

I have had my GLOCK mdl 21 in .45 ACP since 02-15-93 and it is in as good a shape as when I bought it .It has been fired a good bit too stolen one time and recovered. rode in my glove compartment for most of the tie I have had it, very tuff equiptment I say keep the GLOCK and thin the herd elsewhere. I hope this helps and BTW I can dot ya eye with mine from good ways off it is as accurate a handgun as I have ever shot.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Keith_Earl

Post by Keith_Earl »

Thanks, it was helpful. My dad has one since1994, a model 17. The glock will be kept, anytime I have gotten rid of something I like this much, I always regret it.
The main concern is the polymer, I am looking to hear from people like you that have had one for 20 plus years. In myheart I think my g17 will be functioning much longer than I will be alive(even with a normal lifespan).
The gun is just so simple to break down and maintain. I don't put a lot of rounds through it, I may put 600 fmj through it in a year.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Mr Keith,
I don't have a Glock but I know several people that do and I never heard of any of them wearing one out, you could put 6000 rounds a year through it and the only things you would wear out would be the springs which are cheap to replace, don't sell any guns if you can help it, I regret every one I ever sold !
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Keith_Earl

Post by Keith_Earl »

True advice for sure, and thanks. You either hate or love glocks and I like them cause I am simple and they are simple.
KE
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

tequiza wrote: don't sell any guns if you can help it, I regret every one I ever sold !
Same here!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
redeye

Post by redeye »

I can take my GLOCK apart and back together blindfolded and i like that it is a simple very functional machine. I dont think the polymers will fail for at least a few hunnert years or so maybe get a little hazy looking from wearing against holsters and such as I said mine rides in the glovebox of my truck inna slide in the wasit style kydex holster it gets stuff thrown in against it all the time and everyonce inna while ill just stop out on a deserted road and bust off a few rds just to make sure it will do what its sposed to and then home to clean it AGAIN lol keep it clean and mine will eat .45 ACP ball all day but i did have an issue with some hollow points once {HYDRO-SHOCKS} but a friend of mine thats a gunsmith polished the ramp and no mo problems I will never give this one up its the first gun I ever bought new and it has never been in the pawn shop as I said it was stolen and recovered by the sherriffs dept and after about 9 months I got it back good as new it was never even shot whikle it was gone they found it inna drug raid like the day after I reported it stolen I know who took it and I know who had it when they found it too traded for damn coke I hate thet stuff dont get me started oh well GO GLOCKS yay
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I am a SIG man (or 1911's) myself but everyone I know that has a Glock says nothing but good about them.
Like Redeye said they will loose a bit of their shine from holsters and handling but then again any material will age in it's own way.
The polygonal rifling is an expensive process and is superior to standard rifling.
I wish my 220 had it.

My regrets in life has been the guns I have sold.
Belgian made Browning 12 auto
Colt Gold Cup 150th Anniversary
Winchester 22 auto
Ruger Mini 14 with Butler Creek folding stock and Leupold straight 4X
Winchester Model 94 top eject etc etc I miss them all :cry:

I really miss my SAR 48 with bipod,it was a blast to shoot.
(not mine,just a pic I found on the i-net)
Attachments
sar48.jpg
sar48.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Glad to hear you are happy with your Glocks I have been thinking about getting one. Not sure about which caliber, 9mm, .40 or .45?
Keith_Earl

Post by Keith_Earl »

Viking, I sold a browning hi-power and I will always grieve over that decision.
Keith_Earl

Post by Keith_Earl »

Catavengercaptain,

I like my 9mm , however to me it has more recoil than a 45.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

catavengercaptain wrote:Glad to hear you are happy with your Glocks I have been thinking about getting one. Not sure about which caliber, 9mm, .40 or .45?
See if you can find a range that rents guns Cat and try all 3 to see which one fits you best, for me I like the .45 ACP and the .40 rounds but some folks prefer the 9MM, don't buy until you try all of them.
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I prefer the 45 but have fired both 9's and 40's. The 40 is a happy medium between the 45 and 9 so I would take Teq's advise and try them all.
Each one has it's advantage so firing one of each a few times will help you decide which caliber best suits you.
All three calibers are great,it may just come down to what gun feels best in your hand.
Glocks are outstanding but there is a whole world of pistols that may feel better in your hand.
Colts,Sigs,Springfield Armory,Ruger,Browning,Beretta and even CZ's are all nice guns to consider.
Kimbers are very pricey but are Rolls Royce handguns.
I have big hands but a Beretta does not feel good to me like the 1911.
If there is such a thing as perfect,I would say the 1911 is as close as I have ever come to a gun that feels so natural in my hand.
(this is just my opinion of course)

Let us know what you decide on Captain Cat
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

I already have a Walther P38 & a Ruger P89 but for some reason I want a Glock. I regret selling the various 1911A1's I hve had over the years. That's another pistol I would like. To bad that because of my medical condition I can't really shoot what I have, still it's nice to collect.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

catavengercaptain wrote:I already have a Walther P38 & a Ruger P89 but for some reason I want a Glock. I regret selling the various 1911A1's I hve had over the years. That's another pistol I would like. To bad that because of my medical condition I can't really shoot what I have, still it's nice to collect.
I understand,sometimes we get our heart set on something and that's what we want.
Now just choosing which model of Glock to get.