Nifty Wood Scaled EDC

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vanagas

Nifty Wood Scaled EDC

Post by Vanagas »

I like smaller autos with sharp blades for daily carries. This one is 3 1/2" closed, has a 2 1/2" blade and an LCD flashlight built in.

Not sure who makes it, but suspect it is Chinese. It has a symbol on the blade that looks like a cat or maybe a weasel even!

Has a real nice snap to it and locks with very little play. Seems well made and has a real tight safety which I like. Also saw this same knife for sale without the flashlight. Was told it is ez to remove, just loosen some screws. Not sure yet if I'm keeping the light or not.

If anybody can identify the manufacturer or the wood type I'd like to know.

Mike
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Looks like some kind of rosewood. Probably like one of the ones at stus..tho it doesn't id the wood....
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Nifty Wood Scaled EDC

Post by JerrBear »

Vanagas wrote: Not sure who makes it, but suspect it is Chinese.
Mr. Vanagas,

You suspect mos' correctlyness...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The wood is laminated birch that is dyed. Pakkawood.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Ah so! I see said the blind man..... 8)
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Very Interesting Bill. I never even heard of Pakkawood.

I googled up this info:

Pakkawood is an outstanding material of exceptional quality and long-lasting beauty. Utilizing advanced processes, carefully selected foreign and domestic hardwood veneers are impregnated with phenolic thermosetting resins. Under intense heat and pressure, multiple layers of these treated hardwoods are fused into a solid, homogeneous block of material that is:

* Beautiful
* Strong and durable
* Dimensionally stable
* Weather and moisture resistant

The impregnated color in Pakkawood carries through the entire thickness of the material, while the resin provides a built in finish. Sanding and buffing the completed part will yield a gloss finish without any spraying.

PakkaWood components can be produced in an incredible variety of shapes, sizes, colors and finishes. As in nature - where no two pieces of wood are exactly alike, even from the same tree - the beauty of our wood products is that no two pieces are the same. Differences in color and grain structure produce individual characteristics and each component will react differently to the shaping and finishing process.
Mike
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Fancy wording for plywood..... :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

SKM offers it as "Frostwood."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Dick Carroll wrote:Fancy wording for plywood..... :lol:
lmao! :lol:
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

whippersnapper wrote:
Not really, it is more like a plastic. Cheap, durable, yet each piece is unique. I sorta like it. These Chinese knives seem to be getting better all the time.
Mike
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Dick Carroll wrote:Fancy wording for plywood.....
Vanagas wrote: Not really, it is more like a plastic.
Mr. Vanagas,

With all do respect, it IS plywood!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Vanagas wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:
Not really, it is more like a plastic. Cheap, durable, yet each piece is unique. I sorta like it. These Chinese knives seem to be getting better all the time.
It's laminated and impregnated with resin , thats what gives it the feel.

also sold as dymondwood , I've used it on several knives and really like the stuff.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

By the numbers;

1. It looks a lot like a Xing Wen, I forget the model#. I kind of like the style, bought several dozen of them from Stu a year or two ago, made a few bucks selling them to people who liked a handy knife for a reasonable price. Wish they were still available; he was selling them for around $3.50 each in lots of 12. Generally, around 10 or 11 out of a dozen worked pretty good. Did several with scale remnants like stabilized wood and acrylic.

2. That logo really does look kind of like a weasel!

3. Bought a few flashlight knives from Stu, because of the light, but ugly styling. Don't know what happened to the knives. Have one one of the flashlights permanently on my keychain; neatest little light going. Cells from the local dollar store cost about $1.00 for 10.

4. never saw one like this before that has the nice styling and the flashlight; where'd you get it?

5. Sure, it's plywood, but it's a nifty kind of plywood.....

6. Attempted photography below:
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Hell, as long as I'm off on a tangent, and still have the camera set up, here's another immoral, er, I mean immortal design. Also Chinese; a Ming Shen. Same price range, also from Stu. They're getting the knives better, but still having some trouble with their drawing skills. This one was advertised as having an eagle pictured on it, but in fact, they rendered a portrait of the North American Dorkybird by mistake. Should be worth a fortune someday as a collector's item. Note the prominent U.S.A. on the blade of the middle knife (OK, take my word for it). I think in Chinese it stands for Utterly Stupid Americans, or something like that.

Nice simple yet functional design; I'd often thought about copying it, but making the knives with good materials. I'm reluctant to do so however, knowing the Chinese are so scrupulous in their honoring of patents and rights; I wouldn't want to appear dishonorable to them. Come to think of it, if I knocked off copies of what I thought was a Chinese design, I'd probably accidently rip off a copy of an American design, twice removed.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

One of my first internet purchases was one of those doo-doo bird knives. :lol: