SOLD Very Rare HUBERTUS Mistake 1of 1

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

SOLD Very Rare HUBERTUS Mistake 1of 1

Post by XBMX »

SOLD Just received this from a German contact. Kind of like a two headed coin. Only one like it in the whole world. Half of Lazer etch missing.
half cigar 4.jpeg
half cigar 4.jpeg (790.92 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
half cigar 1.jpeg
half cigar 1.jpeg (289.01 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
Last edited by XBMX on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper

Re: Very Rare HUBERTUS Mistake 1of 1

Post by whippersnapper »

Hopefully you got it at a discount. These things are not coins where errors make them more valuable imo.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I was thinking the same thing Terry, and also thought of the same coin analogy. A German leverlock analogy also came to mind, the Bokers. The venerable 712 was made with a variety of scales, but the knives scaled in stag were the 715s. However, there are stag 712s. According to an article in the old SD Newsletter, these were a mistake, or at least unplanned. It was reported as unknown as to whether Boker ran out of 715 etched blades, had an excess of stag scales, or what the reason was. It is logical that stag 712s would command a premium, but they don't. This is a market I follow and 715s typically sell for a little more than 712s, all else being equal (condition, not a rare 712 model etc.).

Having written this, it is certainly possible that a collector might see great value in a "mistake" knife, really want to add it to the collection, and be willing to pay a premium for it.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Anything is possible.

Some error coins are valuable. Off center struck ones usually aren't. There are a few error sports cards that demand a premium, but off centered cards are always graded lower.

I just can't remember a knife being more valuable because a missing or misligned etch.

If only my Wayne Gretzky rookie card was a little more centered and sharp...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

PS- Those little Hubie cigars are nice little pocket knives and I carried one for a long time.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

All good and valid points fellows appreciate the input and guidance. I have a contact in Germany who is also a Otter Dealer and hence his access to a number of items from the Hubertus clean out. I'm going to reevaluate the pricing to make it a little more affordable. Also coming are three 10cm New WITHOUT ANY BLADE IDENTIFICATION AT ALL.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I have only ever known the Jaguar / Black Cat / K55K .... never heard of the ‘Otter’ --
but all the Mercator knives are marked ‘Otter’ now – no mention of the Jaguar or Black Cat any more.
You can find it on other sites, though: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/K55/ot ... army-issue

Picked up this stainless-steel ‘Otter’ at the flea on August 13 for $4 – perfect, like new condition:
https://www.otter-messer.de/en/brands/m ... -with-clip

Does anyone know why "Black Cat" was transmogrified into "Otter".....?
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Update---It was purchased for the asking buy a avid collector along with another "Naked Blade" 8cm. Still have another 8cm and a 11cm.