"Samsend" Swinguards

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Re: "Samsend" Swinguards

Post by jerryk25 »

Finally . . .once you have a master pattern that is programmable for one spring.
Then you pick a material and thickness and determine how many shapes you can cut out.

Shown is a cut sheet for a swing guard cross arm. . . for estimate purposes.
Some shops have a minimum quantity, and set-up cost.
They don't want to spend 4 hours setting up a machine for your 1 only sheet to cut out.
then have to re-set-up for the next client.
When the machine is not burning or cutting. . .they lose money. . .
I quick overlaid your spring to give you an idea.
It is only a cartoon to explain. . .it is "Not-to-Scale"

If you cut out the shapes, the material sheet gets floppy and dances around.
So a smart guy will correct my drawing and determine how many parts can fit.
so it is clamped in place by a monkey, who drops the material onto locational pins in the machine
and he presses the "GO" buttom.

If it is waterjet cut, the sandblasting vibrates the part like a guitar string.
so you may poke a center hole for future drilling , but not a finished hole for the pins.

If you laser cut , then the material gets hot and expands as it is cut. . .
the shop machine software should compensate for that. . .
but the layout pattern may require bigger space between parts . .
and it may seem to you , you should get more springs per sheet, than the machine can actually cut.

There's a lot of variables

IF YOU SEND ME A SPRING, i CAN MEASURE IT AND MAKE YOU AUTOCAD FILE, ( FREE )
and a JPG image to go with it.

But you must be patient with me, , , I'm getting old, and have visiting nurses Monday / Wed / Fri/ / /
Sometimes I go a 3 or 4 days not even standing up at all . . I sleep a lot.
Attachments
waterjet-step-007.jpg
waterjet-step-007.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

jerryk25 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:09 am Here are actual shapes waterjet cut from aluminum to make a Tri=carb air cleaner

I made a paper model to make sure it fit under my 66 GTO hood.
Then had aluminum parts cut out . . . but they still needed to be drilled and tapped for thread.
Did you ever use the wood veneer that I sent you?
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Once you have a drawing of your spring.
a few questions will come up.
Do you bend your springs yourself ?
What is the material ( specification )
what are the hardening / tempering specs.

and you would work out the details on the "shop drawings"

these are things you want to write on the drawing
So that next year, when you want to repeat this quest,
you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
you've got it all documented.

I doubt you could get a patent on a spring shape.
But you could get it trademarked with your name.
It would then become "intellectual property" to some degree.
Attachments
waterjet-step-008v.jpg
waterjet-step-008v.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Last edited by jerryk25 on Sun May 08, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Jackalope . . . Thank you again for the wood veneer.
Wood veneer. . . .I still have it, pressed flat on my drafting table.
( to everyone wondering what this is about.)

I am rebuilding a 1966 GTO, to give to my 47 year old nephew, and his 3 teen sons.
I drove it as a 4 speed manual single carb with a High compression 402 bored out to 410. (.030 over, with .060 rings)
but in my old age I can no longer step on a clutch, so I got a dual gate 3spd shifter,
a turbohydromatic 400 tranny from a truck, with a shift kit rebuild
and a big block generation six 454 , with chevy half moon shaped Holley tri carbs.

This block was rebuilt by the late Don Lesso, one time mechanic for THE Don Yenko . .
Yenko chevy was only a mile away from my house . . .it's an off road dealer now.

I am putting a new dashboard in , along with a tilt steering wheel, center console etc.
a very bug list of parts and all new exterior handles and locks .
and a custom front grill that merges a 67 stainless insert into the plastic 66 grill.

Jackalope sent to me dashboard material ,
I'm building a custom dash with blackface gages and chrome rings, with a nitrous panel.

I wanted to buy a certain modern radio with adaptor to download from a smart phone or walkman.
but walkmans are obsolete. . . .so I don't know what my finished dash holes cut-out pattern will ultimately become.

The wood backing is partially cut out, for the major gages. . . but not the radio, nitrous, or AC/Air.
So the veneer would only be cut when I'm sure what the final dash will become.

Between Covid, my general health, my spouse passing, loss of her social security.
My budget priorities put a pause on the GTO project.
My Nephew (who gets the car when I pass) and his wife are both professional architects,
and would certainly fund the project, If I die before completion.
But I'm anal retentive and do not want to give up control.

And I kind of want his 3 teen boys to mature a bit more before I turn over the Monster Car to them.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

WOW! Thanks again for all the information Jerry. And I appreciate the offer. But it's still just an idea, and I wouldn't impose on you.

I don't make the springs I'm currently using, they are existing springs that I have to modify. And I do have to bend them out as they were in what I will refer to as a "raw" state when I bought them- hardened, but straight, unused, and unfinished. I bend them out with pliers. At first I didn't know how I was going to make straight springs work, then I remembered watching an old video of switchblades being made in an Italian shop and seeing a worker bend the springs out with pliers. One never knows where one might learn something of value.

If I do decide to jump into this, I'd have to make a spring model (a steel cut out, but not needing to be hardened) to get the best possible design. For example- ideally I'd prefer the base of the spring to be a little longer, with the holes 3/8ths of an inch further apart. That way I could use two of the existing holes in the handle of the Ti-Lite to secure the spring, whereas now I have to drill a new hole in both liners to accommodate the holes that were already in the springs when I bought them. A "drop-in" spring that only required some finish work (like enlarging the springs holes) but didn't require modification of the liners would be great.

I'm going to continue to think on this, now with the added benefit of the education you've given me. Thanks again, it's always nice to learn from people who really know their stuff.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Ideally . . . you bend the springs BEFORE hardening and tempering.
sethmerrell

Post by sethmerrell »

I love these knives! They are super good and super cheap. I paid 40 for it on Wish I painted it blue.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

sethmerrell wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:03 pm I love these knives! They are super good and super cheap. I paid 40 for it on Wish I painted it blue.
Makes me wonder what one would find if sanding down one of the Snakewood models...I think it would look wicked if you could do so and then stain it blue, just not sure if it's real or composite "wood" on those suckers.

And I know "wood" and "blue" don't generally go together but Jason had a blue burl batwing I just missed buying and it just stuck with me. It was a very cool look!

Oh well, as my grandmother always said, "every monkey to their own limb." :)

Peace.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

sethmerrell wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:03 pm I love these knives! They are super good and super cheap. I paid 40 for it on Wish I painted it blue.
Seems like I saw those on dhgate for $25, don't recall seeing any stamp on them though.
2024 candidate for president
sethmerrell

Post by sethmerrell »

And I know "wood" and "blue" don't generally go together but Jason had a blue burl batwing I just missed buying and it just stuck with me. It was a very cool look!

I think that would look amazing! If you ever do it please send me a pic. I am very curious to see how it turned out!

Oh well, as my grandmother always said, "every monkey to their own limb." :)

My grandma says "when you lose your temper, you lose"

Peace.
[/quote]
chakotay

Post by chakotay »

9" versions in genuine wood and stag. Although these drop the "Samsend" brand and just say "Italy". But they're obviously coming off the same production line.

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes those are from China also...Wish they didn't say Italy on them....