13" MELLA-BRAND

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

13" MELLA-BRAND

Post by JulesVane »

Saw a few really nice examples on the forums, but not a whole lot of info.. 13" (33cm) MELLA picklock/ kris...Time I open up the books and start reading.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
NorthCarolinaDude

Re: 13" MELLA-BRAND

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Stunning. It's impossible to do better than a large picklock done right. I wonder what the market would bear for an example such as that? Peace.
thom

Post by thom »

JV, is that yours? I thought I saw an 8" somewhere. Strange a 13" with a bail.
It's really nice.
Thom
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

Amazing knife at 33 cm with bail and a kriss.Im wondering if it's Mauro Mario because of the inox in a circle,wandys have that same stamp.Is it a 5mm BACKSPRING?
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

that's a stunner for sure, never seen a 13" with a bail before. The mella brand badge is a nice detail also, that's quite a find!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

WOW Nice one !
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks for the nice comments and input, guys!

N.C.Dude: Thanks! "Value" (like beauty), are certainly in the eye of the beholder. I CAN say, this was the first MELLA I've personally ever seen, become available to me.

Thom: Yes, happy to call it mine. Quite a coincidence there was a smaller MELLA just posted on another platform, and I was hoping that collector was going to get some knowledge on his. But, I'm really not sure how much anyone knows about MELLA-BRAND.

Frank: Mauro Mario? Well, could be (I guess?). That would make MELLA-BRAND the importer? I forget how that goes- imported knives had to have the country of origin or maker's mark on them? (I could be mistaken there). Oddly, no ITALY on these, that I've seen. The one Thom mentioned above, also had INOX on the back, but was not in an oval. Yes, it is a hefty 5mm.

big_slim: Thank you! My entire search through both forums, have not resulted in any 13" (33cm) models at all to compare about the bail. What I saw was, that members mentioned they had not seen an 11" (28cm), and found even that size to be uncommon when someone did post one.

Tom: Thank you!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Exquisite knife you have. 😎
Mine had the same stamp layout.
Many knives with the INOX in an oval stamp were made by Elio DiBin.
DSCN2597.jpg
DSCN2597.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
DSCN2598.jpg
DSCN2598.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm pretty sure that I have had Japanese MELLA brand knives come through the shop, as well as Italian.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Chris, that auto is killer, I am sure that I have seen it a few years ago, however not sure where.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Wow, I never knew they came in 13". The only ones I have ever seen, which weren't many, were all 8".

Did they make the other sizes too?
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Mine was 9".
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

A beautiful example of a very occasionally seen stamp. I’ve never seen a 13” before.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Wow - a very desirable not often seen old picklock that is also in outstanding condition, that's what I call a great addition to the collection.

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks to everyone for taking a look, and commenting. I'm pretty thrilled with it, myself. Amazing what has survived so long out there!