Cold Steel Kudu

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
LD57

Cold Steel Kudu

Post by LD57 »

I think there is an old thread on here about Okapi-style knives...
Anyway, here is a Kudu, Cold Steel's take on that style. This is an older version with 4116 Krupp steel.
I sanded, acid dipped and stone washed the blade. As a bonus, it got rid of the logo and writing etched on it.
I also DIY copper-plated the back spring and Kudu handle insert, leaving it mostly unbuffed 'cause I liked the way it looked. Also plated the pivot screw.
I left the ring as-is, will probably replace it with something a little smaller.
I tried to RIT dye the handle using cherry red, but it came out still mostly black with just a faint reddish tinge.
In the process of acid dipping the handle to remove the chrome on the backspring and insert so I could plate them, the handle ended up a sort of purple/brown/black, depending on the lighting. Looks good against the copper, I think.
Some buffing with steel wool before plating reduced the fake wood grain on the handle so it doesn't look quite so fake-y.
Attachments
Kudu2.jpeg
Kudu2.jpeg (101.59 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Kudu1.jpeg
Kudu1.jpeg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 902 times
jerryk25

Re: Cold Steel Kudu

Post by jerryk25 »

That is a very nice finish on the blade. . . and the Bronze "look" . . .
it has "style" . . .very nice.