5 inch mini one cent sale knives for Bigfatross

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jackalope

Re: 5 inch mini one cent sale knives for Bigfatross

Post by Jackalope »

thom wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:25 am Thanks for the post. Really brings back some very fond memories. I too ordered a supposed switchblade when I was probably 10 or 11. Pretty it was a black beauty. I saved pennies nickels dimes. Filled an envelope with $5.95 in change. I didn’t know any better. Couldn’t let my parents know. Anyway I got the knife sometime later. It was not a switchblade but a manual opener but looked like a switchblade. I don’t remember what happened to it. Years later thinking about I wonder if it all those coins actually went through the mail. I dropped the envelope with all the coins in a mailbox. Wonder if the mailman saw the return address and my mom wrote a check? I guess I will never know. My parents never said a word.
Thom
I did the same thing. Mailed my coins to NYC back in the 60's. Never got my knife. Maybe my parents intercepted it? Still waiting for the mailman. 🤔
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Jerry, Glad to see you took a walk to the wild side. Great post!
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

passage that described one of the kids hanging around a drugstore waiting for an opportunity to shoplift . . .button man . . .
In a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania there once was a "company store" that had an adjacent building with a Doctors office.
The "Company Store" had a name I forget, but they sold everything, and had a druggist two days a week.

I remember seeing the store shelves . tables with partitions. . . . Broccolli . . .Shoes . . .motor oil. . .canned food. . . .a couch for sale. . .
it was weird . . .all disorganized. Food next to other stuff.
I recall a cardboard barrel drum, filled with rice, and right next to it was another drum. . .filled with Nails. . .
It was like a hardware store . . .with vegetables. . . .and a meat counter in the back.

I saw Shure-Snaps and Cigar Jacks on cards for sale at the cashiers counter. . . .I must have been 4 or 5. . . .
My Dad let go of my hand, and gave me a pack of chewing gum. There were winter Sleds up high on a shelf, and lawn chairs.
I remember it because there were dyed rabbit's foots on keychains. . .I saw a blue one. . .I didn't get it.
I asked for a "pocket knife" . . .and when I got home he gave me a "Kamp King" shell wrap. manual multi-blade.
Which my Mom took off of me for a while.

We rode to a farm and got milk on the way home. . . .I stood in the back on "the transmission Hump" and leaned on the front seat.
The milk was in bottles in wooden slat separated low wooden trays, on the back seat.

I often have dreams about those displays in my old age . . and I shoplift a whole card. . .
Years Later my Dad gave me a brown swirl Snappy. He was digging thru a junk box. . .and there it was. . . .
button_man

Post by button_man »

jerry, that's a terrific description..... I can just picture the place in my mind.

It probably would be fairly easy to look through on-line historical records of
that location and find the name of the store ~

jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

It was an ethnic name . . . . I'll think of it eventually. . . I wrote it down.
The store was a "fire clearance" store, they would have "specials" . . . .

When My father passed away in 1979, I felt bad I never talked with him in great depth.
I made up for it by talking with my Mom, she's 96 and still kicking around. . .
I write down stories in bits and pieces.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
After a while, when I finally got a car. . .
I discovered downtown Pittsburgh. . .there were 4 or 5 great stores. . .
Great for Knives. . . .Great storefront window Displays . . . .
(all post switchblade era. . .but great stiletto lockbacks.)
An Army / Navy Surplus store on Liberty Avenue.
Two different Pawn Shops across the Allegheny river on North Side.
A Hardware Store in the Hill District. . .
Another Pawn Shop across the Monongahela River on the South Side. .
Another Army / Navy store on Route 51 to the east of Pittsburgh . .

I've bought Guitars, Knives, Cameras, L.P music records, big toy trains, in all of them.