Older Mikov

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mr_edge

Older Mikov

Post by mr_edge »

Here's one I picked up on ebay that I had never seen before. Aside from surface rust, it's untouched.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Very nice, are the blades in stainless or carbon. I remember, Nemo also had a few for sales once in mint condition.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Are MIKOV's collectable?
I have seen a few go real cheap on evilbay recently.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=1403

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=43335
The-Distinctive-Edge

Post by The-Distinctive-Edge »

looks neat! Paul
We love this stuff!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Razor...I'm assuming, by the rust build up, that there is a high carbon content in the blade. The bolsters look stainless though.
As for the value...there is probably little. Just thought it was neat and liked the price. Maybe David could tell us more about these.
tanto

Post by tanto »

I think the knives are no longer made. The one mr_edge got might be over 20 years old (is there Czechoslovakia on the blade?). It is 100% carbon blade - it was one of the cheapest models.

The little fish knife is still in production and costs around 2 USD. Actually there are two models, one carbon steel, one stainless. There is no price difference. But there is another one, damascus with gold scales. Numbered, limited edition. I do not have pictures but it looks very nice.

The second knife on Ebay - I have no idea how old it can be.. It really has stainless steel blade but I have never seen it. It could be made around the same time as mr_edge´s knife but it can be also a lot older (or youunger)... Most of the knives were (are) made for decades without any changes so it is difficult to tell their age..

David
---------------

My knives + watches
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx for the reply David. I figured you would be able to shed some light. Yes the other side of the tang says CHECHOSLOVAKIA (split in half to fit on the tang). You're right...although the knife is very solid, it looks to be fairly cheaply designed. A neat litlle find for the price though.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I picked up one of the knives Mr. Nemo had for sale a while back. carbon steel blades one can shave with very impressed, except over hardened. I tried to use the screwdriver and it snapped off and i had to regrind it :roll:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

In the 20s and earlier some U.S. knifemakers advertised their knives as "passing the file test" [a file wouldn't work on them] :shock: This meant they were VERY HARD and to be used for cutting not prying etc.