'Lil Hubertus

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

'Lil Hubertus

Post by JulesVane »

Here's a pair of tiny Hubertus measuring in at a whopping 5.75" (I'm not sure if that's referred to as an 8cm or 8.5cm model?). Being new at the German collecting attempts, I have to rely on descriptions supplied by sellers: I acquired the Liliput model as a 1960's with factory filework and the "Bear's Head" (?) model is etched W Germany, so I'm assuming mid to late 1980's. Though same in size (OAL), the builds or parts used in production seem quite different. Most visually notable in the top bolsters and levers. Cute 'lil buggers that feel pretty well made...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tkreil66

Re: 'Lil Hubertus

Post by Tkreil66 »

Wow! Those are two great looking knives.. love the file work
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Beautiful knives Chris. I had two of the small slimlines that I have regretted selling.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"Bare head" means no bolster.
I don't believe the file work is original. Very nice knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Nice examples Chris, it seems that we don't see the ones without the bottom bolster nearly as often. Thanks Bill, for the "bare head" information. Here are my small Hubertus knives. The Liliput has the tubby blade. According to my reference material, there was a law that went into effect in September 2003 requiring all blades to be widened to a minimum of 20% of their length, suggesting that my blue bone scaled knife was made before the law went into effect, and the Liliput made later. I have no explanation as to why the 14cm Hubies never adopted this law other than that they were made solely for export after the law went into effect. Wouldn't a 14 cm mudel with a blade compliant with the new law look silly?
Jim
IMG_0527 (2).JPG
IMG_0527 (2).JPG (172.59 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

lilliput1.jpg
lilliput1.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
lilliput2.jpg
lilliput2.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
Here's one more.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks to all for the kind responses!

Jeff, I've had plenty of buyer's remorse, but I hold on to so much due to the fear of seller's remorse.

Bill, "Bare Head"- no bottom bolster. Makes much more sense than Bear's Head. I couldn't figure how anyone saw a Bear's Head on there lol. Though I have seen the filework on the blades before, this is the first I've seen with it on the spine/backspring. So, you could very well be right, and you know how seller's descriptions can be.

Jim, thanks for posting your 2 examples. I notice you refer to them as 14cm (5.5" approx.). I never know if their measured open or closed. But, yours bring up another thing: Your Liliput. I would have thought the bottom bolster stamp (Liliput over Springer) would have disappeared before the "W" in the blade etch(?). The blade etch on mine is certainly different and no spot for W Germany. But, yours does have the Germany etch there. So, does that mean the bottom bolster stamp continued after the fall of the wall in '89, though they did away with the W Germany etch? Just when I thought I was getting a grasp on the age of the Hubertus etch too lol.

Allen, another fine example I thank you for sharing here!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Chris, sorry for being ambiguous. The 14 cm refers to the large (10 in. open) model, not those posted in this thread. Yes, the Liliput Springer stamp remained after the fall of the wall and the deletion of the "W". As you can see, mine has the post Sept. 2003 tubby blade.

Jim
Tkreil66

Post by Tkreil66 »

Mine is a bit older tang stamped, sorry for bad pics
Attachments
D47EFA44-44CB-4812-B136-E5201FF963B1.jpeg
D47EFA44-44CB-4812-B136-E5201FF963B1.jpeg (104.39 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
C39EB352-17BD-41B7-84FC-CAC6A8151772.jpeg
C39EB352-17BD-41B7-84FC-CAC6A8151772.jpeg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

jim d, wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:44 pm Chris, sorry for being ambiguous. The 14 cm refers to the large (10 in. open) model, not those posted in this thread. Yes, the Liliput Springer stamp remained after the fall of the wall and the deletion of the "W". As you can see, mine has the post Sept. 2003 tubby blade.

Jim
Thanks for the size clarification Jim! I had NO idea the Liliput bottom bolster was still stamped even up to/past 2003 either! Always learning!

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Tkreil66 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:52 pm Mine is a bit older tang stamped.
Tkreil66...Wow! I think tang stamped models are very hard to find! Nice!

Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Great examples guys!!!
JulesVane, the small Hubertus models without the rear bolsters are pretty uncommon.
TKreil66, very nice early tang stamped 1950s era model, which is another hard one to find.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Hubertus measures their automatics closed. 8, 9, 10, 11,12, & 14 CM models.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.