"Newer" Wandy?

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Chris51P

Re: "Newer" Wandy?

Post by Chris51P »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:18 pm
JimBrown257 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm That's three NS bolsters and one SS one.
Agreed. Why would they design it that way? The SS as the swivel bolster would wear better than NS? That's strange as most of the Wandy's I've seen are also swivel bolsters where all 4 bolsters are nickel silver and brass lined. Interesting.
Very nice addition, Chris! The amber color of the scales are killer. In so far as mixed material bolsters on the same knife... I have several with different bolster material combinations. I have two "B" over "Rostfrei," stamped knives where the rear top bolster is NS and the two bottom bolsters and swivel are SS. One is 8" and one is 11". I also have an "INOX" stamped 9" with a SS swivel bolster and NS for the other three bolsters. I've noticed these difference's as I do the magnet test on all knives that I get. I'm definitely a newbie collector but I'm not sure of the theory of replacement bolsters in all cases. Could be as simple as what the craftsmen had available at the time of when the knife was made..
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Chris51P wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:52 am
Very nice addition, Chris! The amber color of the scales are killer. In so far as mixed material bolsters on the same knife... I have several with different bolster material combinations. I have two "B" over "Rostfrei," stamped knives where the rear top bolster is NS and the two bottom bolsters and swivel are SS. One is 8" and one is 11". I also have an "INOX" stamped 9" with a SS swivel bolster and NS for the other three bolsters. I've noticed these difference's as I do the magnet test on all knives that I get. I'm definitely a newbie collector but I'm not sure of the theory of replacement bolsters in all cases. Could be as simple as what the craftsmen had available at the time of when the knife was made..
Thank you Chris! Yes, the more I dig, the more I see of this trait. Also, Wandy's that the swiveling bolster has the solid backing, not brass lined, same as mine. And, not just Wandy's. I'm thinking very late '60's to 1970. Thanks for chiming in with your experience on your examples.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Not a problem. This knife business is a never ending learning curve. But it sure is fun.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Chris51P wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:52 am I'm not sure of the theory of replacement bolsters in all cases. Could be as simple as what the craftsmen had available at the time of when the knife was made..
Lol, anyone who would put one different type of bolster would not be considered a craftsman.

It wasn't the guy who made the knife who had access to three, but not four, NS bolsters. It was the guy who repaired it.

About half of vintage Italian humpbacks (the coil spring ones) had NS on top and SS on bottom but no other Italian knives were made like that. Certainly none of them had just one different bolster.

I notice it is always the top front bolster in question. If it was something that happened when it was made, you'd expect it to be only the top front bolster 1/4 of the time. The top front one is the one part that would most like be lost or destroyed if the blade was ever taken off. And those SS ones are easy to find on cheap modern or kit knives.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Jeremy...The swivel bolster on this knife is not the cheap, modern bolster. It's flat backed, not concave/hollowed out like on current budget friendly knives. It's the same as I've seen on many swivel bolsters from the 60's that were not brass lined like the back/top bolster. I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing to think it's a cheap or kit knife bolster. The magnet seems only attracted to that bolster and safety cap. I'm placing the magnet on the ears/guards to avoid the attraction to the pivot. All 4 bolsters look identical in color. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here(?) Oh, and Bill's Italian Leverletto has top NS and bottom SS bolsters.
*EDIT* I'm wrong about Bill's Leverletto having SS bottom bolsters. They are all NS. I was mislead by a sales site's false description. I apologize.
Last edited by JulesVane on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jimbrown- there were many knives made that way. During the 70s and 80s they were throwing these things together any way they could.
I have seen quite a few with mismatched bolsters and all were factory.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:08 am Jimbrown- there were many knives made that way. During the 70s and 80s they were throwing these things together any way they could.
I thank you for chiming in Bill. I have read many a post/discussion on this very combination.

14finklhun

Post by 14finklhun »

love the stag handles
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I still say that one is a replacement. The pivot doesn't look original; I think it might be NS. Try the magnet on the pivot on the back bolster.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:32 am I still say that one is a replacement. The pivot doesn't look original; I think it might be NS. Try the magnet on the pivot on the back bolster.
The magnet is attracted to the pivot on both sides, front and back and the pin on both bottom bolsters. But, isn’t it supposed to, aren’t they steel?

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yes. The pivot should be steel. Are you sure the magnet is catching the pin? It might get a little pill from the blade. Are you able to lift the blade with the magnet on the pivot on the back bolster?
Jimbrown- there were many knives made that way. During the 70s and 80s they were throwing these things together any way they could.
But did they have a single mismatched bolster? And was it always the front top one? When I have seen it, it was always two and two, not three and one.

Here are some of my humpbacks I have. The ones on the left have NS on both top and bottom. The ones on the right have NS on top and steel on bottom. I have only noticed this on humpbacks based on what I have seen about half of them have the SS on bottom. I suppose there are probably transitionals that were made this way and I just haven't noticed them.
Attachments
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG (361.61 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG (434.43 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

I have a Wandy flat guard .. Great post by the way!!! This is the only FG Wandy known & authenticate by Mickey Berrull... With NS bolster by the way ...
Attachments
Wandy FG.jpg
Wandy FG.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG (98.05 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG (113.6 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG (102.36 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
thom

Post by thom »

boblees812 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:03 pm I have a Wandy flat guard .. Great post by the way!!! This is the only FG Wandy known & authenticate by Mickey Berrull... With NS bolster by the way ...
Is that horn scales? They are awesome
Thom
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Beautiful Wandy Wayne! Amazing!

boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Thanks.. thom & JulesVane