"Newer" Wandy?

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

"Newer" Wandy?

Post by JulesVane »

I've seen some really nice examples of the Wandy stamped pieces. I believe a Mauro Mario production. All the way from a rare flatguard to the transitional period pieces. The examples I've seen had nickel silver bolsters, "D" stamped and I believe 2-piece springs. So, I was able to add my first Wandy stamp....with NONE of those quality traits! Oh, it's an okay knife "for what it is", but apparently stainless bolsters, no "D" stamp and a 1-piece spring. Not what I would have expected or hoped for in a Wandy. So, my question is: How recent has the Wandy stamp production been used? I highly doubt this could be older than 1970's, but could it be even newer?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
picklocksrock

Re: "Newer" Wandy?

Post by picklocksrock »

I like it, cool looking horn and nice flat grind blade profile!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I really like it too… Those scales are beautiful. It would be interesting to find out how late the Wandy stamp was made
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I just finished going through my materials to see if I could find anything about how late the Wandy stamp was made and came up short. What I did find that I haven't seen in years is Dan Fuller and Neal Punchard's Art of the Switchblade The World's Concourse Examples One holy grail after another after another after another...

Jim
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Are you sure those are stainless bolsters? It would be unusual if they were lined. Did you try a magnet on them?

And what is with the front bolster? It looks like it is separating at the middle step.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:15 am Are you sure those are stainless bolsters? It would be unusual if they were lined. Did you try a magnet on them?

And what is with the front bolster? It looks like it is separating at the middle step.
Thanks for looking and comments and info guys!

Jeremy...The rear bolster is brass lined. The swiveling bolster has that flat/solid backing, not concave/hollowed out backing to it, but not brass lined. The dark area you see at the step in the bolster is apparently shadow. I finally took a magnet around the knife. The magnet only sticks to the bolster that swivels and the safety cap. It does not stick to any of the other bolsters or button. I didn't think to check them with a magnet, because they all appear the same, grey color. To look at them, I still can't see any difference in color from the bolster that swivels, to the others. But, that's the only one the magnet sticks to. Pretty strange, right?

Depending on the device you're using to view the pics, you can see some of the yellowish/golden color of nickel/silver difference in the button compared to the bolsters...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's three NS bolsters and one SS one.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm That's three NS bolsters and one SS one.
Agreed. Why would they design it that way? The SS as the swivel bolster would wear better than NS? That's strange as most of the Wandy's I've seen are also swivel bolsters where all 4 bolsters are nickel silver and brass lined. Interesting.

WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Beautiful addition to your collection, JulesVane. Love the scales. Very nice!
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

WheelingWV wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:07 am Beautiful addition to your collection, JulesVane. Love the scales. Very nice!
Thank you! Though not the best example of a Wandy we have seen, it's solid, good snap, tight lockup, no gaps, sits deep and straight. Just surprisingly missing a few of the better attributes of others we've seen. Most likely just the end production of the use of the Wandy stamp.

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Nice looking knife, Chris. Can't remember where, but I read that they used lacquer on the stag during some transitional period builds to achieve that amber color.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Corvus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:35 am Nice looking knife, Chris. Can't remember where, but I read that they used lacquer on the stag during some transitional period builds to achieve that amber color.
Thanks Rick! The front looks good, I think they may have neglected the back scale...I've seen that on a few different knives too. They treated the front scale, but left the back more natural. It would have been ok with me if they lacquered both :lol:

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:18 pm
JimBrown257 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm That's three NS bolsters and one SS one.
Agreed. Why would they design it that way?
The top front bolster is a replacement from a modern knife.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:41 pm
The top front bolster is a replacement from a modern knife.
Wow, that's interesting. I remember reading about another knife that had the one SS bolster for the swivel and the rest NS too. I'm pretty sure ILikeStilettos posted it a long time ago. Of course, maybe his was replaced too.
*EDIT* I've looked through many posts, but can't find that one yet.

Here, DonC mentioned the odd combination: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25187&hilit=stainle ... 15#p276820
Here's one John posted. All NS except for the swivel SS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23998&p=265427&hili ... el#p265427

...I'm not saying the one bolster wasn't replaced as you suggested. It just seems a combo. of NS and SS bolsters has been mentioned before.

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Those are most likely just others with replaced bolster. The pivot on yours and the black Vendetta etch definitely look like replacements.