11" Mauro Mario- Burl

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

11" Mauro Mario- Burl

Post by JulesVane »

Received this 11" Mauro Mario and understand that Angelo had it rescaled in Maniago in 2003 with this stabilized burl that he got at the Eugene Knife Show back then. Naturally, I have to wonder why he chose this scale material when he would have access to all kinds of traditional horn. There's no chips or cracks (etc.), and seems to be a nice rescale. I'm not even sure what kind of wood "stabilized burl" is. But, would you rescale it in traditional horn, or leave as is? Did they ever use this material back in the 1950's? Thanks!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: 11" Mauro Mario- Burl

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Angelo didn't know near as much about knives in 2003 as he does now.
It's pretty. Not sure what I would do.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

it does look real good but burl wood why lol, burl wood is definetly not original or original material . also looks like pre-formed pins on handles too. me personally would have it re-scaled in brazilian , or ramshorn or even stag (sambar) if you can find it.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

it's odd, butt maybe 1 of a kind the chose is yours.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Those are awesome scales. Also a sweet old picklock. Rescale the knife in horn to make it right and put those scales on a new knife. Then you get two great knives out of it :lol: :lol:

Just my 2 cents)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I surely appreciate you guys looking at this knife. Tydy was nice enough to contact me and share some info on this particular piece that I found pretty cool: Angelo had found this knife, among others, in a factory in Maniago that had boxes of unfinished knives. From what I gather, this knife never received it's final buffing and was never scaled. At that Eugene OR show, they both bought some stabilized burl to experiment with from a booth near theirs, and Angelo used a set to scale this knife. So, though these scales are not period correct, they're likely the only scales ever on this knife lol. I'm sure we all like our old knives that have a history to them. Likely a history that we often never know. But, thanks to tydy, I feel like I DO know a little history on this one and will be keeping it as is. Thanks for looking guys!

Here's where the scales came from, in case of interest: http://www.stabilizedwood.com/

Here's some info on Burl. Both links provided by TyDy... https://redwoodburl.com/burl-wood/

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Seems like every couple of years a "box of unfinished knives" just appears somewhere in Maniago and it makes me wonder how many random storage rooms and buried stashes there could possibly be in one town.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I bought most of that group of knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

JV, although the burl is really nice, if you can find a really nice horn? Look at my 13” AGA I did. Which do you like better? I bought that horn years ago for just the right knife. I still have the burl horn, I can always go back. Took me a couple years to decide. I feel your pain.
Thom
Its the “before and after “ post in blade pictures
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Geez, maybe he likes the Burl...lol
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I like the burl but I'm not a collector.
2024 candidate for president
thom

Post by thom »

Can’t go wrong either way. I wish we all had that choice for a Mauro Mario lol
PlatonicSolid

Post by PlatonicSolid »

JulesVane wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 pm Tydy was nice enough to contact me and share some info on this particular piece that I found pretty cool: Angelo had found this knife, among others, in a factory in Maniago that had boxes of unfinished knives. From what I gather, this knife never received it's final buffing and was never scaled. At that Eugene OR show, they both bought some stabilized burl to experiment with from a booth near theirs, and Angelo used a set to scale this knife. So, though these scales are not period correct, they're likely the only scales ever on this knife lol. I'm sure we all like our old knives that have a history to them. Likely a history that we often never know. But, thanks to tydy, I feel like I DO know a little history on this one and will be keeping it as is. Thanks for looking guys!
What a fascinating story.. I would definitely keep the original Burl scales too!
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Well I've always thought Burl was a pretty interesting type of wood, especially since it could really come from any tree. And I've never seen it on a stiletto before. So if the scales bother you and you wanna get rid of it, give m a buzz :lol:
Knee-deep in the hoopla...