B.V.&F. Large Stamp

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Luke_of_Mass

B.V.&F. Large Stamp

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

After 2 years and some change, I finally found another BV&F thanks to Chris who tipped me off :wink:

It's a 6 inch piece, and pairs real well with my 7 inch - one thing I noticed is that the stamp was considerably bigger than my first find. In retrospect, all BV&F's I've found pictures of have this larger stamp, so I'm glad I found an example of each size (maybe there are more variants??)

I realized that BV&F began in 1958, which was an unlucky year to enter the business - I feel like I heard somewhere that A&B and Bedima were earlier for the Beltrame family? Sara Beltrame claims Bedima is not related to her family, but Angelo seems to disagree :?

Anyways, I've come to speculate that BV&F picklocks are so uncommon because there were only about 2 years between the firm's inception and the introduction of swivel bolsters - I have seen one transitional with the stamp and a few very large manuals, too... Maybe they were just producing a lot of pieces without their name on them.

If anybody knows more about A&B and Bedima and exactly what years the ran, do tell!

But without further ado, here it is in all its glory - along with my first.

Really love the scales!

Was hoping to catch the D-Stamp with this image like the last time I posted about these picklocks, but a mediocre camera in poor lighting was somewhat of an impediment. Either way, nice lined bolsters no warping of scales.

Rear stamp not as exciting as the front, but still in nice, pristine condition.

Big stamp and rather big sear hole for the size, although I could be wrong about that - I only have one other piece smaller than 7 inches...

Here you can see the size difference... I still marvel at Jeremy's masterful restoration job on the small stamp!

And there they are... here's hoping it won't take another 2.5 years to add to my collection of rather obscure stamps!

Cheers,

Luke out.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: B.V.&F. Large Stamp

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Luke, I find it good that you are so dedicated to find this stamp,and bty good job,patience pays off.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Very nice Luke - we don't see many picklocks with that stamp. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I LOVE it Luke! What a great addition!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
WheelingWV

Post by WheelingWV »

Those are both beauties.👍
Mistakes are like knives. They can help us or they can hurt us. It all depends on whether we grab ‘em by the handle or by the blade.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Lot's of history in those 2 knives.
HLangston

Post by HLangston »

I have a 16cm B.V.&F. that's almost an exact twin. It also has the large-sized stamp.

I bought it off the old BladeAuction site 4-5 years ago. I think I shelled out about $275 for it.

The B.V.&F. (Beltrame Vittorio & Figli) lineage and origin is explained here.

https://www.frankbeltrame.com/who-we-are/
Herb
HLangston

Post by HLangston »

Found a photo of my 16cm B.V.&F.

http://www.greatanswers.com/personal/16cm_BVF.jpg
Herb
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

HLangston wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:58 am Found a photo of my 16cm B.V.&F.

http://www.greatanswers.com/personal/16cm_BVF.jpg
WOW!! I'm jealous!!! Twins indeed! 275 is an absolute steal!
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I came across some photos of a couple I owned. One auto and one manual.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Those are gorgeous Jeff! I know there’s debate on whether to “clean” a vintage piece or not, but I sure do love the shine myself!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

JulesVane wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:57 pm Those are gorgeous Jeff! I know there’s debate on whether to “clean” a vintage piece or not, but I sure do love the shine myself!
I’m with u Chris. It comes down to personal preference for either camp. I like seeing them restored to their former glory.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I understand the debate around the degree to which a vintage knife should be cleaned - just remove any rust up to a complete cleaning and polishing. To me, the more important issue is what is done to the knife structurally. For example, suppose there is a bug bite. The scale can be replaced destroying the originality but making the knife look more pristine, or accepting the bite and preserving the originality.

Jim
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

These two were photographed just like I received them. The guy that I bought both from worked in the Campolin shop and was able to aquire some beautiful knives. I bought quite a few off of the guy about 20 years ago.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I say if the knife is nearly trashed, like the first BV&F I found was - restoration is almost always good thing.