The adventure so far

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DonC

The adventure so far

Post by DonC »

And it has been an adventure. The past 15 months have been a really pleasant ride thanks to the forum members and their willingness to provide advice and counsel to a fledgling.

I posted this over on the SD forum but thought I'd do a copy of it here for anyone who doesn't get over there.

It was getting kind of clumsy keeping up with and track of what I've managed to acquire in a drawer in ziplock bags.
After looking around I noticed I had two empty dresser drawers that I could have trays made up for that would stack 4 deep. While not ideal it would at least give me a location to lay out the knives so I could see what I've got. I'm a visual type of personality and just looking at my spreadsheet wasn't really letting me appreciate the knives.
Found a local fellow who could make up the basic trays for me and I could finish them with lining that I thought would work out for viewing.
The size of the trays is dictated by the interior dimensions of the drawers and work out internally to be just over 12" high and right at 24" wide. The bar running down the middle is 1/2" wide and, under the velvet, are topped with magnets to hold the knives in place. I came up with the magnets to keep the knives from sliding all over the place any time I moved the trays. They're also strong enough that the filled trays can be set vertically if I ever want to wall mount them.
They're good for everything up to 11" being displayed straight up and down. The 13's need to be oriented at an angle due to the dimensional constraints of the trays.
Again, not ideal but now at least I can see what I've got and cherry pick anything I want to display in groups or individually.

So here goes. No particular order just placed in increasing size.

Tray #1 with my "non stilettos" and starting the stilettos with the minis.

Tray #2.

Tray #3.

Tray #4.

Tray #5 Finishes up through the 11's.

Try #6. Starting the 13's. The constraints of the tray dimensions limits the number per tray to about half of what I can get in with the 11's.
Tray #7.

Tray #8. The blank space on the right is for the 13" Virginia with Cracked Ice scales that is temporarily and the Bill DeShivs Spa and Retreat being treated for a cracked front scale.

The next project is coming up with some way to display my Swing Guard 13 and my 15" and 18" Campolins which are too big for the trays. I have two more trays pending completion to take care of the overflow that's going to happen in the near future. I may just rotate a tray 90 degrees and see what the biggies look like that way.

DonC
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: The adventure so far

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nice knives!
But not ONE Leverletto! :(
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

WOW, what a great collection. Some really nice ones there. What will it look like in15 years? :lol:
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

That's impressive and I should organize my knives.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Very nice!!!!!
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Ooo la-la :twisted: Pretty shiny switchblades. Fantastic collection.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thanks for all the positive reviews. The adventure continues but I've slowed down a bit and become a little more selective in what I pick up. I want to avoid excessive duplication (with the exception of the AGA non-wasp 13"s).
Bill: God's honest truth. I sort of make up general categories I want to explore more deeply on a monthly "to-do" list. One of your Leverlettos is on my July schedule although it will have to wait a little while to be incorporated into the displays since I need more room.
DonC
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I was going to say "Museum Quality" but no museum has that nice of a collection. Gorgeous.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Viking45: Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Once I finished the first prototype and was able to see the idea in real time I knew it worked for me at least. Ongoing problem is filling up the trays. Waiting on a couple more for what will be spill over in the very near future.
DonC
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Well Don that is easily one of the finest collections that has been posted here in the last few years.

One of my favorite hobbies is working with wood and I have some extravagant ideas for knife collection displays.
The one I have thought of for years is an upright display that is tall like a Grandfather clock with a storage cabinet at the bottom,then several layers of shelves up to about 6 1/2 to 7 feet tall.
A Grandfather clock usually has a single glass door,mine would have two long narrow doors either of glass or solid wood and the top would have some ornamentation but not over-done.

I could use solid wood shelves or glass with a light hidden in the top that would illuminate through all layers. The light would be activated when the doors open.

All my projects from chairs,tables,bed frames,shelves etc are solid wood,I never use plywood,particle board and I never glue seams.
Glue creates a fine barrier between the pieces of wood and will eventually deteriorate over time and the project will lose it's integrity.
I use specialized star-head screws that cost three times or more than what regular Phillips head screws cost.

Hinges are always solid brass or stainless but I prefer brass because I like the way it ages,like things to look modern and yet antique so you really can't tell if is new or 40 years old.
Mostly use oak but sometimes maple,spruce and even poplar,however poplar is very soft,it can be scratched with a finger nail but it works real nice.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Vinking45: Definitely sounds like top cabin old school woodworking. So much of what's seen now is, at best, a compromise to convenience.
I'd really like to see a project like yours become reality. It should be striking.
DonC
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I might get ambitious this summer and build one and if I do I will take pictures of the process and share them here.

This idea came to me when I realized space(or lack of) was a factor,this display would take up very little room and could be placed in a corner.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I'd probably be in the market for one. Is Norman, OK in your local delivery area? :wink:
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:I'd probably be in the market for one. Is Norman, OK in your local delivery area? :wink:
I am in Springfield Missouri and according to Google Map Norman is 302 miles,just a rock's throw.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

:mrgreen: