Blade pictures,WOW!

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Rave

Blade pictures,WOW!

Post by Rave »

I have got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed those blade pictures,especially the displays.
I think that the stiletto knives are a beautiful example of knife art.
I want to thank all for the treat! :D
daddyloko

Re: Blade pictures,WOW!

Post by daddyloko »

Your welcome :wink:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many members here have amazing knife collections and seeing photos of those knives is always a pleasure.
I agree the Italian stilettos are a work of art.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Recent addition to the family:
Picked this one up from the auction a little while ago.
The basic knife is a Frank B. 11" Bayonet with stainless steel bolsters.
The knife was re-scaled with Ostrich bone.
Very thick and highly polished scales (too thick to include safety according to the mangler).

DonC
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Beautiful knife DonC. I think that's the first one I've seen with the Ostrich bone. Didn't know that was possible.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Great job and terrefic pics!
If the scales are thick enough to prevent accidental fireing you don't even need the safety!
I love it! :D
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Don that is one beautiful stiletto. Must have been one heck of a drumstick 8)
Superb polish job on the bolsters,if I had not read your post I would have assumed they were nickel.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Viking:
Thanks for the compliment.
As long as the metal is in decent shape I can usually get it cleaned up pretty well. A lot of the knives I collect are just "grubby" from poor handling. All I do is let the shiny out. :D
DonC
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

DonC wrote:Viking:
Thanks for the compliment.
As long as the metal is in decent shape I can usually get it cleaned up pretty well. A lot of the knives I collect are just "grubby" from poor handling. All I do is let the shiny out. :D
DonC
Don, if you should see this older post...please let me know how you "let the shiny out". I just bought some Flitz polish. Hoping that does it. Can you tell me more?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
DonC

Post by DonC »

JulesVane:
Depends on what condition the knife is in when I receive it. Can be anything from plain commercial polishing paste like Maas (local Ace Hardware store) to green buffing compound on an 8" wheel to 4 micron diamond polish on a 1'Dremel buff. I cover the scales with blue painter's tape until I've finished with the metal to keep them from getting grubby while handling and finish everything off with a loose stitched soft wheel with pink scratchless compound and a final application of Renaissance paste wax before they go onto the display. Time wise it can take anywhere from an hour or two to a couple of days.
DonC
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

DonC wrote:JulesVane:
Depends on what condition the knife is in when I receive it. Can be anything from plain commercial polishing paste like Maas (local Ace Hardware store) to green buffing compound on an 8" wheel to 4 micron diamond polish on a 1'Dremel buff. I cover the scales with blue painter's tape until I've finished with the metal to keep them from getting grubby while handling and finish everything off with a loose stitched soft wheel with pink scratchless compound and a final application of Renaissance paste wax before they go onto the display. Time wise it can take anywhere from an hour or two to a couple of days.
DonC
Wow, your hard work really shows. Your blades and bolsters are jewelry quality, and excellent photography. I guess there's no easy way around it. I've tried the spit and a rag method and results were obvious lol! Thanks Don!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)