my very first vintage italian switch!

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

my very first vintage italian switch!

Post by mrbigg »

i was lucky enough to get my hands on this absolute beauty with lots of help from mr missaman!
thanks buddy 8)

i'm sure this is the start of the end of my money.... :twisted:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

mrbigg,

Is it a swing bolster?

Jim
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Nice blade there MRBIGG!
I'm glad your buying autos and staying away from the manuals :lol:
Where do you get those knife stands?
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Very nice Mr. Bigg. I've always liked the swedge on blades. It does look like a swing release bolster. What is the marking on the tang.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

That is a hella thick spine.
Sweet grab Mr. Bigg.
Ill be behind you in line at the Soup Kitchen :wink:

for mr claudester
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=475
Switchblade9

Post by Switchblade9 »

Nice catch Mr Bigg. That appears to be an M. Italy transitional piece and in great condition. Thanks for posting the pictures. Now you're really hooked.

Michael B.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

right you are switch9! it's an M. Italy 9" swivel...and the best part of it are the beautiful horns...i really haven't seen ones that nice in this house before!

thanks everyone - but mr claudster - i still find myself searching for and buying the old italian manuals too! the knife stands i made myself at work - mostly just for posing my knives....

mr benny - judging by all the knives in your house - you will be a regular at the soup kitchen....i probably will be too :wink:
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

That's a really awesome find there Mr. Bigg. I love it. Cheers to missaman for helping you out. If you ever wish to part with it, you may as well keep her up north and give me a crack at it. :wink: I tend to agree with what some of the experts were saying about the potential collector's value on the transitionals. There were fewer made, so it just makes sense that they'll be more sought after.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr edge - i think i'll keep this one - unless i need money for a kidney transplant or something down the road :lol:

they are so hard to find - and when you find a good one - even though it's probably worth 3-4 times what i paid for it - it may be very hard to replace for any amount of money!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

mrbigg,

I can see from the photos how nice the horn is. As Benny mentioned, the backsprng is stout. Is the kickspring also that stout? If so, it must have a good kick.

Jim
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

actually jim i would say it's kick is average for a 9"er - but i have several modern ones that kick waaay harder!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

The next question is... are you gonna do any clean up on it... :twisted:
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

that's a good question mr benny - i'm nervous to do anything to it - but the backspring has some light surface rust starting to show...so i'll have to do something! any suggestions would be appreciated :D
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

If it were my knife... off to Mr. DeShivs it would go. But you seem to have a little :wink: talent in this area... so perhaps you could just ask for a little guidance from our most esteemed colleague.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

mrbigg wrote:thanks mr edge - i think i'll keep this one - unless i need money for a kidney transplant or something down the road :lol:
Perhaps we can swap even for one of my kidneys. On the other hand, my kidneys aren't in as nice of shape as that M. Italy.