fishing trip =)

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

fishing trip =)

Post by mrbigg »

here's a few i reeled in recently!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

...and I thought I did well on my Florida Keys fishing trip... :oops:

Jim
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hee heee heeeeee - unfortunately these are catch and release! they aren't keepers... :cry:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

...so were the tarpon, barracuda, and sharks... :D

Catch and release is good for fishing, but bad for fish style switchblades in my humble but correct opinion.

Jim
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

very nice Mr. B... love the scales on the top fishie... really nice.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Nice Knives mrbigg, BTB's right, that top one is nice.
Take Care
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks guys, the thing (top one) is 3/4" thick, and it has hardly any round, or bevel to the edges, so it looks thick.....

i had such a stress attack getting these suckers into the boat that when they got here i was disapointed by some imperfections in all of them, but a few are looking better today...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
Nice haul. Are the problems liveable? because the knives themselves look sweet. You know I still don't have one because to this day I still hear complaints about them or are people just being picky.
PB
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Mr.Bigg, thats a pretty little bunch of fishes you have there.I have several myself and they are very well made.They are the ones from A.K.C. and I can't find a fault with any of them.Especially my damascus one.The only thing I had to do was clean off the polish on some.As for picking the lock,they are easy as pie!They are my current favourites,though I'm sure I will find something soon to take that place. :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr PB, SLK-

well yes, the scales and blades are beautiful - probably the nicest i've seen in a while, but i'm disapointed in the crooked backsprings, which have caused large gaps, and could be part of the reason they are do hard to close.

three out of five have badly bent and curved backsprings, and the other two aren't too bad, but the blades sit way off to the side! yes i'm being fussy, but i specifically asked frank to pick out his best ones for me - if these are his best.......
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have a couple that I got from from Tydy and they are perfect. I really like the AKC tang stamp (as I do the AB tang stamp). Being picklocks, they are a bit of a task for me to close, as I have short fingernails. Even so, the tabs could be a bit larger. However, my understanding was that the old tooling was used for these, so maybe making larger tabs would compromise the authenticity of the reproduction.

Did anyone else see the one for sale on e-bay about a month ago with the AKC tang stamp that the seller claimed he bought as an old knife in the 70's? For those that don't know, Angelo formed AKC 2 or so years ago. I sent the seller an e-mail calling him on the BS, but of course received no reply.

Jim
Plastered Bastard

Post by Plastered Bastard »

Mr. Bigg,
Man oh man...that is some nice horn! Have you sent them back yet? When you made the thread on picklocks being so hard to close, I thought you were talking about the stilettos. Now that I know it was these you were talking about, let me just say this... When I got the one and only one I have, it was almost impossible to close. I thought, 'this is rediculous!', and blamed it on the backspring being too stiff and the tab being too small. But I though, what the hell, I'll pull the backspring back with some pliers until it bends it back just a touch and maybe that'll loosen it up. (I used some thin leather in the plier jaws, of course) When I pulled it back, I saw SO MUCH polishing compound residue wedged in between the liners and backspring I then knew why it was so hard to pull back. So, I used a whole can of WD-40 and *chunks* of that stuff just kept coming out. Then I sprayed it out with compressed air, and got every last bit of it out.
Man...it was *so* easy to close now...almost *too* easy!
If you haven't sent them back yet, at least try this on the ones you really liked and see if it works.
Just a thought. :wink:

Plastered B.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces ~ American Proverb

Plastered B.