Another picklock....or two...

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Switchblade9

Another picklock....or two...

Post by Switchblade9 »

Ok..since this seems to work I'll post another picture. Here's an 11" and 13" Coricama. The 11" I bought in Mexico for $8 back in the dim dawn of time. The 13" cost me CONSIDERABLY more!

Last edited by Switchblade9 on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Once again, nice knives. That 13 incher looks pretty interesting, it looks like it has a thick heavy blade on it, whats the heft and snap on something like that like :?:
Take Care Switchblade9
blackjack
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

beautiful, and completely different that what im used to looking at.... very nice.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Switchblade9

Picklocks...

Post by Switchblade9 »

That Coricama is the heaviest knife I own. The blade and backspring are close to an 1/8 thick. Even the blade lug is enormous. And the kick? Wow...that's the way a switchblade SHOULD open. It really torques your wrist. Check this out...here is a photo of some of my heftiest knives, see if you can pick out the Coricama.

Michael B.
Last edited by Switchblade9 on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jeez Mike I feel like I'm stalking you. Another set of winners. So the 11" is original that you"ve had all these years. Once again two true beautys and your picture taking abilitys are also exceptional.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

man-o-man - exceptional shot - i'm guessing the coricama is the 5th one going from left to right....look at the size of the pin on that one.....or is it the 3rd one........

just curious, but i've heard it a few times now about great classics coming out of mexico - why is that? these origonally come from italy right?
Switchblade9

Picklocks...

Post by Switchblade9 »

Yep...its the 5th from the left, the 3rd from the left is the square button. As you can see there is no hole in the lock tab. On that knife the blade lug is machined down a little and it fits into a hole that doesn't go all the way through. The blade is closed using the tilt bolster, as on the new knives. As for Mexico being the place to buy knives back in the good old days, yes, the knives were all Italian...well..MOSTLY...Italian. You could get Japanese made knives too, but talk about CHEESY! After 1958 we California kids would crusie down to TJ, have the car done in tuck n' roll upolstery for $150 and pick up a couple of cool switchblades for about $5-$10 each. I wish I had taken some pictures of the shop windows. Every one was FILLED with illegal fireworks and switchblades, hundreds of them. Who knew that 40 years down the road, they'd be worth a fortune. Make sure you check out my website for more great knives.

Michael B.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr switch9 - looks like you're into blonde's too :wink: you seem very knowledgable on these vintage italians, it's nice to have you here!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

definitely, I need a history lesson or 2... what happened to the trade in mexico? I live in TX and would love to go down to the border and pick up something besides junk :cry:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr switch9 - maybe you could look at this thread

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?t=1273

:D
Switchblade9

Picklocks in Mexico...

Post by Switchblade9 »

Hi Benny....
You can still get switchblades in Mexico, but you can't get the old ones. Its the same reason you can't get them anywhere else; they haven't been made like that for forty some years. My personal opinion is that the interest in switchblades died out as the baby boomers got older and quit going for tuck 'n roll upholstery. LOL! Late 60's, early 70's it was sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll, not switchblades and hot rods. So, the trade kind of died out. Up until about 15 years ago you could still find a few old picklocks hidden away in some dusty case, and you may STILL be able to find some. But, for the most part, its the new knives that you'll see; the tilt bolsters, lever locks, etc. It would sure be nice to step into the old "Wayback Machine" with Mr Peabody and go picklock hunting in the border towns.

Michael B.
Switchblade9

Latamas...

Post by Switchblade9 »

Hi MrBigg....
I'm certainly no expert on Latama, but I do know a few things about them. Latama made a vast number of cutlery items including scissors, pocket knives, surgical supplies and so on. Actually, they didn't really MAKE them, but commisioned them and had them made. Latama...or LATin AMericAn...either Trading or Import.....was strictly an import/export company. There was no Latama factory in other words. The gentleman who started the company, today, lives in Miami and quite elderly. So, to answer your question, yes, it is undoubtedly the same company. I have a small gold gentleman's pocket knife that has the vaunted LATAMA tang stamp. The blade is so small you have to have a magnifying glass to read it, but its there! If you do a search for LATAMA on eBay, you'll find steak knives, hunting knives, manicure scissors, and all sorts of things stamped LATAMA. They are my favorite switchblades.

Michael B.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Greetings Michael,

The big Coricama is the one I was refering to.... it's got to be the thickest bladed stiletto I have seen, MOS' beautiful. (as are they ALL!) thanks for sharing.

Best wishes
Teddy