Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

1. 154 CPM and,

2. S30V

We all know that the former is a tad more "pedestrian" Than the latter. However, 154 CPM may perform nearly as well at a lower cost.

a. Is the lower-cost steel as efficient as the S30V without excessive compromise of corrosion resistance and edge-retention?

b. Is S30V steel worth the extra money. When one carries the knife into more severe environments, the knife has be relied upon to carry out its required duties. Is it worth the added cost and more intensive sharpening requirements? :?:

This is a question relative to a "useful" knife rather than a "wall-hanger".
Fishtail Picklock
Denam9090

Re: Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

Post by Denam9090 »

S30V is a bit of a funny steel. If heat treated well and sharpened properly it can hold a edge very well that can easily surpass 154cpm, But a lot of OEM makers ht s30v a bit different so your mileage may vary. I had good experience with spyderco and benchmade ht on that steel and honestly if I had to use it I wouldn't mind, But i perfer a mid range steel like 440C or similar like VG10 or 154cm
Denam9090

Re: Let's discuss Piranha's blade steels

Post by Denam9090 »

if you want to save a few bucks and get the 154cm that wouldn't be a bad idea, Honestly i wouldn't be able to tell much difference minus sharpening them