What's your experience/opinion re: Sandvik's 14C2N steel?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MingOnMongo

What's your experience/opinion re: Sandvik's 14C2N steel?

Post by MingOnMongo »

New to 'collecting' and used to consider D2 my 'fav' steel, but after finding a couple of nice, and affordable partially-serrated folders (great for marine environments and for cutting poly line), am really liking their 14C2N blades, apparently developed especially for their chinese-made knives by Sandvik in Sweden, and now finding its way into other brands as well.

Naturally a lot depends on our requirements, but curious what more 'experienced' folks think of this quasi-'budget' steel? Thx.
Fishtail Picklock

Re: What's your experience/opinion re: Sandvik's 14C2N steel?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

For a "pocket knife" and "budget" steel it is okay. Heat treatment is what makes the difference with most "budget" steel and this one is no different. IT requires frequent sharpening under extensive use, but its toughness and corrosion resistance covers a multitude of shortcomings.

You get what you pay for, but a pocket knife is often a "carry a lot, use a little" proposition. Just be aware that resharpening isn't always a bad thing. "City boys" generally "carry" more often than they use. The more "rural" the orientation, the more frequent the knife will be used. This calls for higher-quality steel. (Lowering the resharpening requirements).
Fishtail Picklock
Ronmageddon

Re: What's your experience/opinion re: Sandvik's 14C2N steel?

Post by Ronmageddon »

I've had a Kershaw blur with what I believe is the 14c28n steel for over 10 years. After constant use ( not abuse), losing it in the snow for a season ( yes it rusted a little), no real issues. Holds an edge well, takes a bit of effort to resharpen, but overall no complaints. Ymmv