CS AD10 clone mods

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

CS AD10 clone mods

Post by kwackster »

Short story: a while ago i ordered what i thought would be an original CS AD10 from an E-Bay seller, who specifically stated in the ad that the knife was the real deal and no fake.
What i received however was an AD10 clone.
Opened a Paypal dispute, sent the knife back to the seller, then got informed by Paypal that i lost the dispute because the knife never reached the seller.
Almost had forgotten all about it when the clone was returned to me by the postal service, as it had been undeliverable.
Since i was apparently stuck with the thing i decided to make it into a project knife.
Convexed the edge, gave it a wave function, and changed the backlock mechanism into a tri-ad lock mechanism.

фото
kwackster

Re: CS AD10 clone mods

Post by kwackster »

This is how the locking mechanism looked when i received the knife.
Although it somewhat resembles a tri-ad lock, it's still just a backlock.

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

8)
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

The knife's new home-made Tri-Ad locking mechanism.
Exchanged the old stop pin (on the right with 4.97 mm diameter) for a thicker one (on the left with 5.43 mm diameter) made from an old piece of drill bit using a drill press together with an angle grinder, gave the lockbar pivot pin a bit more wiggle room using a diamond burr, then hand fitted the various mating surfaces with a small diamond file.
Now the lockbarhead wedges itself securely between stop pin and lockbar cutout hook in the blade (with room for wear), and there is zero blade play.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

kwackster

Post by kwackster »

Daniil Vygovsky, the seller of this fake CS AD10 operated on E-Bay under the name Andros999, but it seems he is no longer active there.
Даниил Выговский is his Russian name, and on Paypal he uses androswizard@gmail.com
I thought i ordered from Taiwan, but the clone was dropshipped to me by the Chinese webshop Jufule (there was even a thank you letter from them in the box)
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

Tested the newly convexed edge with an apex @ ~22.5 degrees inclusive on an old piece of beechwood cutting board.
Got quite a bit of microchipping at the very apex but no rippling.
The steel might indeed be D2 with an estimated hardness at or slightly above 60 HRC.

Removed all damage by filing the edge flat with a small diamond file, then resharpened to a new apex angle between 22,5 and 25 degrees inclusive.
Still have to do some new testing on the same wood.