Vintage Swedish Emil Olssen pocketknife

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

Vintage Swedish Emil Olssen pocketknife

Post by kwackster »

Fredrick Emil Olsson founded his firm in 1896 in Eskilstuna, Sweden (the cutlery capital of Scandinavia).
His was one of over 100 cutlery companies in Eskilstuna at the turn of the century.
The firm produced hundreds of thousands of knives until it closed it's doors in 1967.
One of it's specialties was deep etching, and this new old stock pocket knife is a nice example.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

whippersnapper

Re: Vintage Swedish Emil Olssen pocketknife

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice!
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Nice!
As you wrote: "one of over 100 cutlery companies in Eskilstuna at the turn of the century."
About 10 years ago the last company was sold and and now the they produce knives in China...
So many companies all over the world have moved their production to China and that is so very sad because Covid19 is the only thing that China have produced that will last for more than a year... Maybe nasty said but that is how I feel...

Unfortunately I think this book is only in Swedish but I can check that out...
Best,
Stefan
Sweden
1.jpg
1.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (189.17 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (202.85 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (202.68 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (163.84 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (161.11 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (154.47 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (155.85 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

There are some well made expensive knives coming out of China now that aren't copy's. Just saying but basically I feel the same way about China as you.
2024 candidate for president
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

sammy the blade wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 pm There are some well made expensive knives coming out of China now that aren't copy's. Just saying but basically I feel the same way about China as you.
I understand what you mean and the Chinese can make good things too. They have some military bayonets which are interesting and good.
That they steal designs that is one thing and many knife companies are doing that too from Cold Steel and down... but I hate their fakes of Cold Steel, Fällkniven and so on... Customers who doesn´t know it and buy it and then the items fall apart... That is a criminal act and they can continue and continue doing it... Because some customers say that the copies are so very good and why shall I much more for the original when the fake are almost the same... Yes, Sure!!
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

A second Emil Olssen knife, now with advertizing for the still existing Swedish Elof Hansson company:

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Picture of the Elof Hansson headquarters building in 1958 next to the etching of that same building on the knife handle.
Thanks to this picture i now have an estimate of when these knives were made.

ImageImage
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

The Chinese knives that aren't counterfeit that I've run across are pretty nice. I really don't know about the counterfeit knives but I would assume they aren't much if they are copying them so they can sell them as original. The Ganzo line is a nice line for cheap but alot of them are copies but they aren't trying to pass them off like the counterfeits.
2024 candidate for president