so what don't i see?? clue me in

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
missaman

so what don't i see?? clue me in

Post by missaman »

e bay 2188883582 why is this knife worth 400.00? no tang stamp listed photos not great? :?
thanks missaman
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"i USED to care now i take a pill for that."
Caring stops when it includes donations!
missaman

Post by missaman »

I gotta quarter :shock:
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

missaman wrote:I gotta quarter :shock:
quarter ounce? chron?

anyway, the seller of that item is not offering up any info on that knife, but if it's legit, which my nonexpert eye thinks it is...then it may very well be a latama - look at the button placement, the short safety slide, and the front bolster, it's a picklock for sure.....and it's 11" long...look at the location of the seller.....look at the list of vultures bidding on it...the usual suspects :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg is a prime example of hard work in education. It doe's have the look of a Latama but since there is no stamp we can't be sure unless taken apart. Latama numbered all there parts and for the most part used a dove tail spring. An 11" like that is in the price range. My take is the blade does not look full and could have some pitting or it could be the photo. I only count 3 usual suspects. After 2 more days I will venture to say it will be closer but under $5. If who ever gets it can't work on it figure another $1 to $150 restoration. Or it could very well be yanked if one of the yahoos bidding doesn't like the way things are going he can report it and poof all gone. I will post the url on TSF and see what their take is on it.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr PB - actually it doesn't say there is no tang stamp, but rather the seller doesn't mention one...

mr missaman, have you asked the seller for info on it? maybe the guys who are bidding the big bucks asked and found out what it says on the tang.....but in any case i think it is more than evident (and mr PB agrees) that it's a vintage switch....

i just e-mailed the seller to hopefully find out some more info!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Bigg no i did not ask the seller any questions as i do not have any intrest in bidding. But i did have enough intrest to try to learn more about italian knives
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr pushbutton - i suppose i should have given you and other members here more credit for any knowledge i have, it's cause i paid attention to all those threads that i know anything at all!

also, the reason i thought it may be a latama is because it's VERY similar to this one, especially the way the safety groove is done - check it out - http://www.bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa ... ber=702426
missaman

Post by missaman »

What makes a latama more valuable than a rosco, wandy, romo, etc were there fewer of these made? I really liked the mouser with the monkeys stamp.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Guys
I started a discussion over on TSF in the General Forum called Opinion Wanted. Bring plenty of pop corn.

Mr Bigg that was entirely my fault as I never read the description on the knife but thought you or missaman had said there was no tang stamp. As a matter of fact I haven't even read anything on this forum in about 1 and a 1/2 years and my luck just ran out.
PB
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Missaman good question but the kind that doesn't have an answer. What makes any one object or company more desireable to another in the world of collecting. Plus it can be a fickle world. All one has to do is remember Beanie Babies. Case is the winner for pocket knives. Yet there were better made knives by other companies over the years. Some switches were inferier because of corner cutting. Now this is my own opinion so if any disagree tough shit but I think the square button Latama has much to do with there mystique. They were also well made knives as were Rosco's,Edwin Jay, Coricima, EIG etc. But way back when the square button myth was told and one day like the flying dutchman showed up. None of the other Co's had anything close. Like I said this my opinion.
PB

Post by 666 »

Due to the condition of that blade I did not go any higher. I asked the seller to send me a better picture a few days ago...I never received an answer from him. That knife is too high in price. It would cost several hundred to replace the blade. Then you would have to worry about that knife getting through customs. Because of the drug problems down there, the agents are checking everything very carefully. Between that and it's condition...not worth it.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yes i agree, the blade looks to need some work, but if it is a latama, it's still less than the one i put a link to above!?!?

mr 666 - i too have not recieved a reply from the seller.... :?