Can anyone tell me what kind of knife I have

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Patrick D.

Can anyone tell me what kind of knife I have

Post by Patrick D. »

Sorry, I do not have a digital camera or a scanner so I will explain the knife as best I can. I would like to know a little about it. Thanks.

Fixed blade

Total length.........8 inches
Blade length........4 inches
handle length.......4 inches
Handle color........black (hard plastic?)
Manufactured by..George Iberson & Company
Made in Sheffield England.
Etched on the blade are the following characters:AM22C/1996
Stamped on the finger guard is an M (on the blade side)

What makes this knife unique is difficult to explain. There is a clamp which is actually inside the handle with the edges protruding through the handle side. When you squeeze the edges the bottom of the knife handle opens. The knife is at least 50 years old and I believe it may be military in nature but I haven't been able to find out anything about it. Does anyone have any idea what the hell this is.

Patrick
If I may put forth a slice of personal philosphy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child king long enough...
Patrick D.

Post by Patrick D. »

There is also a hallmark of some kind stamped on the guard on the handle side and there is a hole in the guard on the rear side.
If I may put forth a slice of personal philosphy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child king long enough...
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

it sure would help if you could find a way to get us a picture...

is there nobody you know of with a camera, webcam, or scanner?

aside from that...
webcams are pretty cheap, like under $20.
might be worth the investment to find out what ya really got there.

i'll look around for info, but i can't even picture the knife from what ya told us. Someone else may come along who can.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

heheh

George Iberson is a VERY old sheffiled company now owned by the Egginton group of companies.

Here is a link http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/ibberson.htm

There are two pages of history of George Ibberson & Co. in "The Sheffield Knife Book: A History & Collectors Guide"
by Geoffrey Tweedale (may prove difficult to locate)

The firm began in 1700, or earlier, and remained in the family til 1988. High quality til the end. Now it's just a name.

They had two main trademarks: a violin, and ## (double sharp). Also a picture of a big trip hammer; that one is shown in the 1919 Trademarks Register, Violin also shown in 1919, but not ##. In 1952 (the only other register ever published) only ## is shown.

Dunno if this helps at all, but it's all i can find~
Patrick D.

violin

Post by Patrick D. »

There is a violin etched on the blade under George Ibberson & Company.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Re: Can anyone tell me what kind of knife I have

Post by Pushbutton »

What makes this knife unique is difficult to explain. There is a clamp which is actually inside the handle with the edges protruding through the handle side. When you squeeze the edges the bottom of the knife handle opens. The knife is at least 50 years old and I believe it may be military in nature but I haven't been able to find out anything about it. Does anyone have any idea what the hell this is.

Patrick[/quote]

Hi Pat
Help an old fool out here. I can picture what you wrote but I can't see where it would be benificial. If the blades 4" and the handles 4" it's obvisously not a folder so what is the purpose of the handles opening. Perchance does the blade extend so it can be opened like those pig stickers and then closed to equal proportions? Did it come with a sheath?
PB
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

i know some of these were made to open, for the purpose of a wire cutter. i'm not sure by the description above if this is that, or not?
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Re: Can anyone tell me what kind of knife I have

Post by mrbigg »

Patrick D. wrote:Sorry, I do not have a digital camera or a scanner so I will explain the knife as best I can. I would like to know a little about it. Thanks.

Fixed blade

Total length.........8 inches
Blade length........4 inches
handle length.......4 inches
Handle color........black (hard plastic?)
Manufactured by..George Iberson & Company
Made in Sheffield England.
Etched on the blade are the following characters:AM22C/1996
Stamped on the finger guard is an M (on the blade side)

Patrick
hey mr patrick D. - man i gotta see that somehow! do you have a photocopier? you could fax it to me? PM me if you do - hell fax me a crayon sketch if you have to! :lol:

also, i was wondering about the 1996 in the series of numbers etched on the blade...
Patrick D.

Mystery knife

Post by Patrick D. »

I've made a rough sketch of the knife using Paintbrush, as soon as I learn to post pictures I will post that.

The blade does not move at all. It may be some kind of boot knife. I've searched every website on knives and just cannot find a picture of this one.

Patrick
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Re: Mystery knife

Post by Teddy »

Patrick D. wrote:I've made a rough sketch of the knife using Paintbrush, as soon as I learn to post pictures I will post that.
Patrick
If you know how to email a pic ... send it to me and I'll post it for you..

Best wishes
Teddy
Patrick D.

mystery knife

Post by Patrick D. »

ok, just give me an hour to "polish" the diagram. Thanks.

Patrick
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

ok, now i see what you are talking about - i think the opening may be for some kind of mounting system, like maybe a bayonet!?!? so when you squeeze the clamp, this allows you to slide the knife onto a clip, or some sort of attachement on a rifle? (just a guess)
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Patrick D's knife

Best wishes
Teddy
Patrick D.

Mystery Knife

Post by Patrick D. »

Thanks for the post Teddy.

Anyone know now?

Patrick
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

All right this is my last stab at it. When you push the clamp and the handle opens what do you see inside?. Is it round? Are there some type of teeth that would grab when closed again. The gard has a hole correct. My final answer after using all my lifelines is C. Regis. it's a pilots knife that can attached and lashed to a spear type piece of wood for small game hunting or spear fishing. "BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" OOOOOOH Mr pushbutton are judges are looking into it right now.
PB