so what's everyone's favorite non-auto folder?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The SOG Switchplier is amusing.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Re: until the CQC7 shows up...

Post by mrbigg »

Stone Knife wrote:The little blade in my Leatherman PST has been through heck 'n back and I sharpened it for the first time in it's 3-year life just last week.

I kind of take it for granted, but it's been an outstanding little cutting tool since day 1 and holds a very good edge through daily abuse.

The rave reviews here about the Emerson CQC7 (especially from The Falcon) has been enough that I'm a-gonna try one... Have wondered about the SOG Flash 2 as well...
the flash 2 is a very nice knife, but not the fastes spring assist out there, i've had two SOG flash 2's both solid knives, but the TiNi coated one looked "used" right outta the box, as the coating was pre worn around the serrations....

if you are looking for a nice spring assist knife, i would highly reccomend the kershaw whirlwind, blackout - and fastest of all the scallion!
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Ahhh- I was wondering what the deal was on those Scallions- Haven't bid on the Emerson yet. Will check out the Kershaw!

Update: Later That Day:

IT's The Kershaw!!!! One flick of the Blackout and that was IT!
mrbigg you are the man as far as I'm concerned.! This thing is crazy.

Anybody who sees it deploy and then can try to argue against legalizing all autos is simply unable to process facts. It is nearly as fast as my fastest auto... perhaps moreso if you go from "pick it up" to "out"!

Thank you for that great advice.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I used to carry a Gerber Parabellum, then a Spyderco Police, then a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande, then a Kershaw BlackOut and now............well, you probably know what. :D

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

Stone Knife wrote:Ahhh- I was wondering what the deal was on those Scallions- Haven't bid on the Emerson yet. Will check out the Kershaw!

Update: Later That Day:

IT's The Kershaw!!!! One flick of the Blackout and that was IT!
mrbigg you are the man as far as I'm concerned.! This thing is crazy.

Anybody who sees it deploy and then can try to argue against legalizing all autos is simply unable to process facts. It is nearly as fast as my fastest auto... perhaps moreso if you go from "pick it up" to "out"!

Thank you for that great advice.
hey no problem! it's just passed on advice that i got here from another member (can't remember who)..

i found my whirlwiind to be faster than my blackout - but even faster is the scallion - it has a finger thingy that portrudes from the tang when the blade is closed - one flick with the index finger and fwack - it's open!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Has anybody tried a Kershaw Boa? I'm thinking about possibly, maybe, tentatively making an indecision about buying one............but I'm not really certain yet. :?

The Falcon :D
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

not me, but i've eyed them up a few times....seem a bit pricey for what they are compared to the other kershaw offerings....definately looks like a real "useable" knife...
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

The Falcon wrote:Has anybody tried a Kershaw Boa? I'm thinking about possibly, maybe, tentatively making an indecision about buying one............but I'm not really certain yet. :?
The Falcon :D
Mr. Falcon-
Not to put any pressure on your decision-making process, but:
I've got one; I like it a lot! It would be my EDC, were it not for blade-length restrictions defining "dangerous knives" in my workplace. I actually use my EDC, and often where it is visible to others. So instead my EDC is a Scallion, which is still OK. Other than the blade length difference, the two main differences, IMHO, are the opening speed/strength, and the usefulness of the safeties. The Boa is both slower (not as snappy) and has less strength (stalls sometimes) when opening, when compared to the Scallion. This can be overcome by using a little wrist action, and with practice. On the plus side, the safety on the Boa is really useful as compared to the Scallion's, which always delays opening the Scallion, for me. Just be careful to not have the slide safety on when closing the Boa as it will keep the blade from closing completely (how I got bit by my Boa!). The Boa also has three positions for the pocket clip; another plus. Oh, and did I say I really like it!?
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...

Post by 666 »

There's a seller on eBay who has 3 auctions going. Two for a Kershaw Blackout and one for a Kershaw Whirlwind. Each auction has about 7 or 8 knives for sale, (dutch)..all knives are new, buy it now for $30.00 with free shipping.

If your interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2189003838

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2189041803

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2188811222
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Six-man,

Those are good prices, especially w/free S&H! :D
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I just went and bought a blackout, the othe two were ended. did anyone buy the whirlwinds? Very nice price with no shipping
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson

Post by 666 »

I bought a Blackout myself. I am sure if anyone wants one all they would need to do is e-mail the seller.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
BladeLover

Favorite Folder (non-auto)

Post by BladeLover »

I have a Gerber Walker that I like and carry alot. Although made in Korea, it has decent quality and holds up well under stress. It is a large-framed knife with a 4" Bowie-like, ATS34 blade, G10 scales, liner lock with latch that keeps it from accidently closing when you squeeze it the wrong way, pocket clip. It's lightweight, but large enough to do what you need to do, camping or personal defense.
"Knife collecting - it's not an addiction....it's an adventure!"
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Welcome BladeLover.

Stick around this forum and you'll hear about some knives you'd never love if you met 'em..........and the people that sell 'em. :?

The Falcon 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Yes, Welcome.