So tell me about D2 steel

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Stone Knife

So tell me about D2 steel

Post by Stone Knife »

I understand D2 is the latest and greatest... but why is it, what is it, and who uses it?

On a related topic, is ceramic useless as a blade material and why do ya think so?

Thanks
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hi Stone Knife got this from a previous post by PB, I think. Hope this helps.

Ceramics
Numerous knives have been offered with ceramic blades. Usually, those blades are very very brittle, and cannot be sharpened by the user; however, they hold an edge well. Boker and Kyocera make knives from this type of ceramic. Kevin McClung recently came out with a ceramic
composite knife blade that much tougher than the previous ceramics, tough enough to actually be useful as a knife blade for most jobs. It is also user-sharpenable, and holds an edge incredibly well.

D-2
D-2 is sometimes called a "semi-stainless". It has a fairly high chrome content (12%), but not high enough to classify it as stainless. It is more stain resistant than the carbon steels mentioned above, however. It has excellent edge holding, but may be a little less tough than some of the steels mentioned above. And it does not take a beautiful finish. Bob Dozier uses D-2.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Thanks Razor
D-2 has been around a long time and is the steel of choice for many makers. Bob Dozier comes to mind. Its not a new fangled miracle steel but an honest higher carbon using steel that holds an edge and sharpens easily.It was mostly used on hunters since it could dress out a deer and still retain a good edge,now it's turning up on all kinds of knives from boot to tatical. Before going with D-2 think about what your primary use will be. The only drawback is it requires some maintenence because it tends to discolor and stain more then rusts. But since we are here we are knife people so taking care of it is no big deal. I for one am a big fan because of its edge holding capabilities. And no I don't think it will ever show up on an Italian.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A diamond sharpener will sharpen ceramics.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
It still takes a little work. I for one see them as white elephants. A small pocket one is kool for opening mail,cutting friut or a sandwich etc. Anything larger will have a tendency to chip. They look good but for there price are really not practical. I remember when Mad Dog was around and he made an all ceramic combat type knife and it was about $1,100 or so. He said it could go on planes etc etc. What ever happened to that guy after the falling out with knifeforums? I know he went to some tactical forum I went to at times but it was boring. Now I never here about him anymore.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have never owned a ceramic, that's my opinion. I haven't heard of Mad Dog in a long time. I know at one point he had the Navy SEAL contract for a combat knife. Made out of O-1 tool steel, honest, [it was coated]. He had very slow delivery times but had lots to sell at knife shows.
Stone Knife

Thank you!

Post by Stone Knife »

OK--

Sounds like this D2 is perfect for us! Not only does it stay sharp but you get to touch it a lot!

Ceramics, well, not happening yet. I can't afford a couple hundred for a 'disposible'.

For travel, the little Blackie Collins letter-opener folder looks reasonable. I'd like to run one through a magnetometer sometime and see how invisible the byrillium-copper spring actually is...

This is a great little forum! Thanks to all who answered...