Any good?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dendrobatez

Any good?

Post by dendrobatez »

Hi guys this is my first post so i guess this is an intro duction as well.
Ok so im going to culinary school (about 3 months now) and would like a decent knife, i got a set of knive when i started but would like to trade up. ive been looking around and found this on ebay... and could not find anything about the company that makes it, does anyone here know anything about this knife?

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-CHEF-KNIFE-DAMASC ... 7C294%3A50

I am also looking at a 240-300mm hattori gyuto does anyone haveexperience with hattori
i would rather see these knives in person and hold them but all I can find in my area are the basics-shun,wustof,global,henckel ect...

thanks for the help guys
The Tourist

Re: Any good?

Post by The Tourist »

The blade steel itself is quite good. Shun and many other manufacturers on Japan Woodworker use laminates in VG-10. But there is one problem.

If you look at the front bolster, it is thick as it is shaped into the blade. As the edge is sharpened in the future the bevel wears away slightly, but the bolster is still thick and in the same plane/place.

After a period, the edge is "eaten" up and it cannot come fully down onto the cutting surface as the bottom of this bolster forms a "foot."

Go to JWW and look at the gyutos that have a heel going fully to the rear of the blade.

And BTW, *ahem* you will also need the services of a good sharpener who specializes in Japanese style knives. A good tinker is worth his wages.

Now if only we could find such a man among men, a chiseled featured rascal, a leader of men, a follower of a women...
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Here is one that I sharpened.

dendrobatez

Post by dendrobatez »

ok thank you very much for the reply.
I know the basics when looking for a knife I think I just lack the experience
Can anyone here recomend a good japanese chefs knife (8+inches) for around $100-$175
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

The knife shown is a gyuto from www.japanwoodworker.com

I'm a rep, but I think your average guy named Joe can get the exact knife for 100 bucks. And customer service is superb.

Ask for "Ginny." She's a go-getter.