best knives in the world?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
roran1234

best knives in the world?

Post by roran1234 »

Hi,

I am looking to buy a chef's knife, the best in the world...

I already have an entire set of Global knives including the Global-G2

I have been looking at the MIYABI 7000MC, is this what i seek?

Thanks,

Roran
dinobru

Re: best knives in the world?

Post by dinobru »

Hi

I too am looking for a money no object set of knives........recently posted a question reagrding Kasumi but had no replies.

They are supposed to P!ss all over Global blades but i want to be sure.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The only "name brand" I've used myself is "Russell Green River".
Many of my kitchen knives are OLD carbon steel ones [they work fine] but stainless is mandated by law [many places] for knives used in commercial food preparation :idea:
I like the fact that Due Buoi FORGES their knives 8) Many companies just stamp them out from a roll of steel.
roran1234

Post by roran1234 »

dinobru wrote:Hi

I too am looking for a money no object set of knives........recently posted a question reagrding Kasumi but had no replies.

They are supposed to P!ss all over Global blades but i want to be sure.
I looked at them today, heave but there was something about them... definately don't piss on Global though
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sammy da blade wrote:bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!
So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

natcherly wrote:
sammy da blade wrote:bset cooking knives in the world are the gensu that are on info. comercials around this time of year. if you don't me believe me just ask them!
So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.
They had to find SOMETHING that stainless could cut :lol:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

sammy da blade wrote: Best cooking knives in the world are the Ginsu that are on info. commercials around this time of year. If you don't believe me just ask them!
natcherly wrote: So true. I love that famous dish they always feature when demonstrating the cutting abilities of the knives, Braised Beer Can.
I have found the MB cans to be the mos' tastyness... :P

CAUTION!
Do not overcook as this could cause molten metal to penetrate your tongue and lower jaw, land on your shoe and give you one helluva "hotfoot!" :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
roran1234

Post by roran1234 »

natcherly wrote:With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

In the end, the knife in and of itself will not make you a better chef/cook/dilettante. I myself use a collection of carbon blades inherited from both my grand parents. I also have a couple of stainless chef's knives I purchased when first married. Have yet to kill anyone with my food...

I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

roran1234 wrote:
natcherly wrote:With Kasumi and Global, you are talking very high end knives. I would doubt that either one would "P!ss all over" the other. Other options would be ceramic knives, but there is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned forged blades. There are many top brands and lots of sources for those as a Google search will reveal.

I'm sorry but i disagree Kasumi and Global are good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch the surface; let alone scratch it, when it comes to high end knives
This discussion has been visited several times. By high end in this context, I really should have said expensive. Now I am sure you can pay lots more. The real point is this: no one can convince me a $1000 chef's knife will make you a better cook than if you stayed with a high quality one costing $200. Just like some golfers who really get a kick out of owning the latest, most expensive driver, especially if no one else has one. Doesn't matter that their short game sucks....
roran1234

Post by roran1234 »

natcherly wrote:
roran1234 wrote:

This discussion has been visited several times. By high end in this context, I really should have said expensive. Now I am sure you can pay lots more. The real point is this: no one can convince me a $1000 chef's knife will make you a better cook than if you stayed with a high quality one costing $200. Just like some golfers who really get a kick out of owning the latest, most expensive driver, especially if no one else has one. Doesn't matter that their short game sucks....
I didn't every say anything about becoming a better chef... but you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

roran1234 wrote:I didn't every say anything about becoming a better chef... but you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........
Perhaps, but here is some verbiage taken from the Korin website talking about one of their lesser $1000 knives, "Used only by the most skilled master chefs in Japan, the single-edged kiritsuke requires an accomplished technique and talent to use effectively, making ownership of this knife a symbol of status and prestige for top Japanese chefs. So you have to be especially skilled to realize the value of such an instrument, and it is a status symbol. As alluded to previously, I suspect many knives like the kiritsuke are owned by people who would find the difference between it and the $89 Global to be meaningless, but they got one! Now if we are only talking about knives that are the most artistic, best designed, best made, best materials, and don't really care if it ever sees an onion, then let's explore that. I am sure there are some really far out pieces around. I was looking at this from a more practical viewpoint, however, as the main thrust of this website is switchblade knives whose true utility is questionable, let's open it up. Let's have pictures and descriptions of what you have found.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

roran1234 wrote: you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........
Would you please to explain what one can do with a $3000 Korin that can't be done equally well with an $89 Global G-2?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JerrBear wrote:
roran1234 wrote: you can't compare a $89 Global G-2 to a $3000 Korin........
Would you please to explain what one can do with a $3000 Korin that can't be done equally well with an $89 Global G-2?
Full agreement. Beyond a certain point, you are paying for artistry and esthetics NOT practiaclity :idea:
An M-16 is "nicer" and more accurate than an AK BUT, the AK is more powerful and FAR more reliable :!: [And, costs FAR less] :wink: