Intro from new fan of TalkBlade

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ColdEthyl

Intro from new fan of TalkBlade

Post by ColdEthyl »

Happy and honored to be "activated". It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally ready to part with my long-deceased father's collection. I'm looking at a minimum of 50 (I assume) antique autos. Will post pix in switchblade gen area shortly. I'm in my 50s, dad died at my age in 1998, and had been collecting these his whole life with his father's blessing, gifts, and help. My dad was born in 1944, and his dad (I never met) was a recreational world traveler who was into all things macabre, offbeat, and generally awesome. He would bring my dad blades from all over the world when he finally came home.

My personal experience with these autos is a fond and often funny affair. Dad kept his prized collection in two boxes under his bed. When I was old enough to find them but too young to know better, I would sneak into their room to covet, admire, and yes, push those buttons! The catch was - I could *never* figure out how to close them! The next time I went to play with knives, they would be closed and dad would have bandaids on his hands from the pointy little surprises I'd left for him. Over time I like to think that he caught on and simply allowed my covert ops to continue. I think he knew that, like him, I found them beautiful, fascinating, and amazing.

I have a favorite photo I will try to include here of Dad (on right) staging a knife fight with his (bless his heart) little brother. Since my little uncle has the bigger blade I'm thinking dad let him win. <wink>

KT Denver CO
Dad_Young_12 copy.jpg
Dad_Young_12 copy.jpg (558.98 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
sammy the blade

Re: Intro from new fan of TalkBlade

Post by sammy the blade »

You need to read the rules for selling before you offer anything to sell here.
2024 candidate for president
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:20 pm You need to read the rules for selling before you offer anything to sell here.
I've read through twice and thought step one was to introduce myself. I apologize if I misunderstood. Trying hard to follow protocol. I have not and will not offer anything for sale until I am seasoned.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Welcome KT, and thanks for sharing your story!
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Thanks for sharing the story and the photo, the photo is a classic! Your Dad had very good taste in knives. Even without knowing the stamps I can see plenty of rare variations and some amazing horn. Glad you took the time to post all this stuff here.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Welcome!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Welcome and great story !
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

JulesVane wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:56 amWelcome!
So nice! Thank you, JulesVane!
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Tom19176 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:26 am Welcome and great story !
Dad was a delightful monster. Thanks for reading, Tom! Hope you are well. Katie
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Great story, and great photo.

My fascination with switchblades began as a child as well. One of my uncles on my fathers side was an outlaw biker, and during the short time that I knew him he carried one of two 11" Italian pick lock stiletto switchblades. I looked forward to his visits like Christmas, because besides bringing me all kinds of cool stuff (he once gave me a glass eye), he would let me handle and fire his switchblades. I was intrigued by the mechanics of them, but how they worked was a mystery to me. And like you I couldn't close them myself.

Mom hated him, considered him a bad influence on me. And he only let me handle his knives if she wasn't around, and only if I promised to never let her find out. My uncle was a scary guy, but my mom was even scarier.

Now I build my own switchblades. So I guess my uncles "bad influence" won out in the end :D .
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Killgar wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:52 pm Great story, and great photo.

My fascination with switchblades began as a child as well. One of my uncles on my fathers side was an outlaw biker, and during the short time that I knew him he carried one of two 11" Italian pick lock stiletto switchblades. I looked forward to his visits like Christmas, because besides bringing me all kinds of cool stuff (he once gave me a glass eye), he would let me handle and fire his switchblades. I was intrigued by the mechanics of them, but how they worked was a mystery to me. And like you I couldn't close them myself.

Mom hated him, considered him a bad influence on me. And he only let me handle his knives if she wasn't around, and only if I promised to never let her find out. My uncle was a scary guy, but my mom was even scarier.

Now I build my own switchblades. So I guess my uncles "bad influence" won out in the end :D .

You had me at "outlaw biker."

And....I have a glass eye courtesy of my dad in my office drawer. No joke. Boy you have some amazing stories I'm sure! Thx for sharing this...it's so much fun to hear about people.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Welcome to talkblade Coldethyl!
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

whippersnapper wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:15 pm Welcome to talkblade Coldethyl!
Thanks, Whippersnapper! Hope you are well.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

glad to have you here.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

rock-n-roll$$$$$$ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:53 pm glad to have you here.
Thanks, Rock n' Rollssssssss!