WTB-Bill DeShivs counterfeits

This is a place where you can sell or buy your knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

WTB-Bill DeShivs counterfeits

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Interested in any counterfeit knife marked with the "Bill DeShivs" name, for my collection.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DG Ralph

Re: WTB-Bill DeShivs counterfeits

Post by DG Ralph »

Bill,

When did they start showing up?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Years ago.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

It's unfortunate but they're all over the Chi-Com sites. DHGate, Ali and Wish are the most notorious. Most sellers there carry bootlegs that somewhat replicate the Leverletto while others sell knives that look nothing like a Leverletto, more like a ProTech, with "Leverletto by Bill DeShivs" on the blade. I just turned one up on DHGate by searching solely on "leverletto." I've also seen these crooks selling blades only with the engraving.

I don't collect "clones" as many of these sellers label such products but I do confess to having a Microtech clone I bought for novelty because the industrious little SOBs even replicated the box, warranty and insert, and get this, even included the custom bit that allows for disassembly that comes with the real thing.

Lord help the poor souls who are buying these things while thinking they're getting the real deal, and a pox on the cats buying these to resell as the real deal on street corners.

Peace. Scott.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Sorry Bill, had I known you were looking for examples, I would have bought them.

I made it a point NEVER to buy a fake leverletto. . .I thought I was being faithful.
I never was a Lever kind of guy, , , I see them as "Farmers knives".

But I saved images of knives with the DeShivs brand.
Two of them were lever knives, One was not even a lever knife.
I don't think the Chinese understand the language they are translating.

This first image shows a pressed bolster lever knife with a Microtech Logo.
the same knife shorter has the fake AKC DeShivs etching.
The one short knife with a chain, is etched "Hubertus"

the offset ears bug the heck out of my sensibilities.
Attachments
china-akc-leverletto-p44.jpg
china-akc-leverletto-p44.jpg (233.27 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
china-akc-leverletto-p77.jpg
china-akc-leverletto-p77.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
china-akc-leverletto-p02.jpg
china-akc-leverletto-p02.jpg (208.09 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
FAKE-AKC-Leverletto-04.jpg
FAKE-AKC-Leverletto-04.jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, Jerry- I wasn't looking- but recently thought it might be interesting to collect the forgeries. I won't buy them from the sellers, but thought if anyone had any they wanted to sell I would be interested.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I'm sure when they first started to pop up you were pretty pissed, I know I would have been. The restoration of a old Hubertus that you did for me last winter blew me away. Re the collection of fakes, how about a side by side display, a fake and a original side by side, model by model.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

At one point, I was the most famous knife maker in China!
button_man

Post by button_man »

XBMX wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 am Re the collection of fakes, how about a side by side display, a fake and a original side by side, model by model.
I like that idea a LOT..... it would be very helpful for many collectors! There are countless knives that I have not
handled in real life.... just seen photos online.... and I would be very uncertain as to whether something that
I'm examining is the genuine article or not.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I could do that if someone would sell me their fakes!
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:06 pm I could do that if someone would sell me their fakes!
I've got one for you send you pictures as soon as I find it.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Another shot of fakes currently being sold on Wish.Com (the image including all verbiage was captured from seller's actual ad)!

The best rule of thumb is likely that if it's on Wish, DHgate, or Ali then it's likely a fake. Unlike the glaringly obvious ones above, there are a greater number of Microtechs and Benchmades on those sites that aren't as easily recognized as bootlegs. Folks likely realize it only when held in hand or when compared to a real one side-by-side.

Another good rule is that if it's less than 50 bucks, it's probably a phony. :wink:

Peace. Scott.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:42 am Image

Another shot of fakes currently being sold on Wish.Com (the image including all verbiage was captured from seller's actual ad)!

The best rule of thumb is likely that if it's on Wish, DHgate, or Ali then it's likely a fake. Unlike the glaringly obvious ones above, there are a greater number of Microtechs and Benchmades on those sites that aren't as easily recognized as bootlegs. Folks likely realize it only when held in hand or when compared to a real one side-by-side.

Another good rule is that if it's less than 50 bucks, it's probably a phony. :wink:

Peace. Scott.
You could probably guarantee they're fakes.
2024 candidate for president